interplanting maize and beans

• 16 Replies

Buckcherry

Re: interplanting maize and beans
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 13:56 »
I got a couple of big sized cobs of each of my 15 sweetcorn plants and a couple of decent sized BNS of each of my 4 plants (loads of mini BNS formed and then rotted/fell off - which recent threads have led me to believe was due to lack of pollination).

Initially thought I'd put the beans in too late, but now looks like good timing 'cos the fench beans are just coming into proper fruit, so when harvesting beans I've no longer got the sweetcorn to worry about (I've cut loads of corn foliage off).

I'm a bit limited on space, there's only really myself to feed and this year I was spending a lot of time digging/prepp'ing new beds. So I found interplanting a good, low maintenance method (BNS suppressed weeds, corn just gew and now I've got beans).
- Next year I'll try courgettes under the corn and move BNS else where (I've got a new 'squash bed' set up).

Swing Swang

Re: interplanting maize and beans
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 17:02 »
NO! NO! NO!

(my totally unbiased opinion)

Reduced overall yields, increased incidence of disease. Tried two and three sisters over the last two to three years. Won't bother again, although may let trailing squash planted outside the maize patch trail through it because if they then succombe to powdery mildew I can just totally cout off the affected parts of the plant without loosing it entirely.

SS

xx
interplanting j artichokes

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 19:41
by Madame Cholet
xx
Interplanting onions

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 20:03
by sunshineband
xx
maize

Started by alinda on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2015, 08:31
by New shoot
xx
Starchy White Maize

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 04, 2010, 20:09
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 38 queries.