growing mustard [green manure]

• 15 Replies

rowlandwells

growing mustard [green manure]
« on: August 02, 2020, 18:56 »
our mustard [green manure] what a crop its produced so well i couldn't believe how its grew a carpet of green manure that looks a lovely thick green crop and no weeds  I'm just thinking i need to cut it and plough it in very soon i think I'm going to use my old grass mower to chop it up prior to ploughing it in its going to be interesting to see if it improves the ground ?

[edited to replace 'rape' with 'mustard' as per reply #1 - Yorkie]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 23:45 by Yorkie »

rowlandwells

Re: growing mustard [green manure]
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 21:00 »
please accept my apology the topic should have read growing mustard not rape so now brain's in gear i mite find some friends who would like to comment on this topic I'm putting my error  down to my age don't you know  :D :D

[edited for you - Yorkie]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 21:54 by Yorkie »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 23:39 »
Glad the typo was fixed ;)

Mustard is a great green manure, I normally sow it as a follow on to my spuds. Only thing to keep in mind is that it's a brassica and therefore you should keep that in mind for your crop rotation.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 19:59 »
good thinking plot1 i was intending to leave the ground clear after ploughing it for my potato crop next year what do you think?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 23:41 »
For me , I'd do what I do with every bed when it's finished and sow phacelia as a green manure.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 20:00 »
i did look at growing phacelia plot 1 do you think its a better choice than growing mustard ? because you seem to favour growing phacelia

the area we would be sowing is enough to use our tractor to plough it and i wondered if phacelia would be a better choice to grow and follow on  with our potato crop? :unsure:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 21:39 »
The reason I favour phacelia is simply because it doesn't affect crop rotation. It's just me being lazy with my choice of green manure ;)

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 08:27 »
so basically you pays you money and make your choice plot 1 that's the best way  :D :D

al78

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 14:20 »
I've got a mix of green manures to sow for overwintering, as well as some mustard, once the useless OTT temperatures cool down a bit. I am not too religious about crop rotation, I have a rotation plan for my crops, but when it comes to green manure, I just try to avoid growing plants from the same family in the same bed in consecutive years.

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 10:55 »
I've got some phacelia
And an earworm.

For some reason,buzzing through my head is "Phacelia, you're breaking my heart.  You're shaking my confidence daily..." etc.  All the way through the song.

Fortunately, it's a good rhythm for digging, hoeing etc  :lol:

Any thoughts on grazing rye?  Having just taken over the plot, I'm still finding out about what's underneath.  Some of the weed-ridden bits seem to be over patches that could be compacted, thin topsoil or ( :ohmy: :mad:) CARPET. 

I'd read that rye improved soil structure.  Has anyone used it?  If so, would you recommend?

al78

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 12:59 »
I've got some phacelia
And an earworm.

For some reason,buzzing through my head is "Phacelia, you're breaking my heart.  You're shaking my confidence daily..." etc.  All the way through the song.

Fortunately, it's a good rhythm for digging, hoeing etc  :lol:

Any thoughts on grazing rye?  Having just taken over the plot, I'm still finding out about what's underneath.  Some of the weed-ridden bits seem to be over patches that could be compacted, thin topsoil or ( :ohmy: :mad:) CARPET. 

I'd read that rye improved soil structure.  Has anyone used it?  If so, would you recommend?

Grazing rye is good for breaking up heavy soils and the roots can hold light soils together. It is hard work digging it in come Spring, and in my experience it takes some time to rot down to the point where you can cultivate. Italian ryegrass is supposed to be easier to dig in than Hungarian grazing rye.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 18:29 »
I agree with al78 about grazing rye.  Nightmare to dig in and I still found clumps of it in the soil many weeks later.  Wouldn't use it again!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 18:36 »
Thanks for getting back.

Glad I asked!  :ohmy:

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Re: Phacelia
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 15:42 »
First time using green manure, I've just planted Phacelia (yesterday), as I read somewhere its good for loosening up clay type soil. Do I need to regularly water it, if there's no rain? Also, how long do the seeds normally take to germinate? I also read somewhere it should be dug in before it flowers (4-6 weeks), or can you just chop and leave on the surface without any digging in? Sorry about so many questions, just want to get more info from people actually using it. Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 15:53 »
It can take from a week to a fortnight to germinate, here ;) The weather forecast looks as if we're all going to get some rain over the next week or so, so you shouldn't have to water it. Colder nights mean the soil gets damp at this time of year as well.
I don't ever dig mine in,  I find a good hard frost kills the top growth so the roots just rot in situ leaving drainage channels for winter rain, and softened soil by spring, ready for gentle work over with the 3 pronged cultivator  :) If you don't get hard killing frosts where you are, I'd strim it down in early spring and leave it for the worms.
It shouldn't try to flower sown at this time of year, mine never has...

xx
green manure [mustard

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2021, 16:37
by bobbyt
xx
sowing green manure [mustard ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2021, 09:07
by rowlandwells
xx
Sprouting Green Manure Mustard - safe to eat?

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 17:49
by mumofstig
xx
Mustard Seed/Green Manure Coverage

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2021, 09:12
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 53 queries.