Polytunnel

• 4 Replies

Bridgend Jon

Polytunnel
« on: February 13, 2011, 20:03 »
I've just purchased a 3mtrex 1.9 x 1.9 metre pollytunnel for my allotment. I am a bit of a novice at the allotment- only had it for 1 season. Just wondered what people recommend growing and the best way to benefit from the pollytunnel. All sugestions welcome> ..........
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 20:04 by Yorkie »

rusty100

Re: Polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 21:38 »
Last year I grew chillis, toms, cues, aubs, beans  and salad crops in my poly. Only the aubs failed so I wont grow this year.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 21:42 »
Same as Rusty, when hubby not using my polytunnel for equipment storage, I've grown, tomatoes, chillies and peppers, cucumber, courgettes, carrots, potatoes, broad beans, and even a few brassicas and runner beans, peas, leeks to try them out and use up spare plants.

Bridgend Jon

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 19:32 »
I've erected my polytunnel! Will be doing some serious sowing next weekend. Any suggestions on what I can start off- please let me know.

Also is it best to cover the floor with black sheeting and grow from grow bags or cut throught the plastic and plant in the soil?

Poolfield2

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 20:34 »
Black plastic is not great but that woven black fabric is very useful. I have 6 separate beds in my polytunnel and only use the fabric on the gaps between, the beds are directly in the soil and I have added boards around the edge, as I add the compost each year it is becoming raised beds.

You can start off onions in pots to be planted out later and I've just put my strawberries in, they will be several weeks ahead of outdoors. My herbs are doing well so I have fresh tarragon to pick in Feb which is great and the chives are well ahead of the outdoor ones.

You could have ago at early carrots indoors and raddish and salad leaves. At this time of the year temperature control in the polytunnel is vital and easy to get wrong.

xx
Why buy a polytunnel ?

Started by fibilou on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 19:21
by japagow
xx
polytunnel...

Started by radster on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 05:07
by fuzzy1983
xx
polytunnel

Started by lotus on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post September 20, 2015, 19:52
by sonnycbr
xx
Diy polytunnel

Started by ricky on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post September 19, 2019, 16:25
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.