Poorly eye

• 2 Replies

Flowerpower136

Poorly eye
« on: June 13, 2016, 08:28 »
The new girls are doing well apart from Frieda who over the weekend has developed some sort of eye problem. She seems well and perky, eating and doing all the normal chicken nonsense.
Anyone any clue what's going on here and what I should do? Currently thinking trip to vet might be in order.
She's just started laying so is 20+ weeks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Poorly eye
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 11:08 »
That looks clean and not infected.  She may have just charged into something and done a bit of damage, or had a peck off someone else.

I would be tempted to flush that eye with saline solution and see how she goes.  Any discharge or change which looks dodgy, then yes, off to the vet for her as she may need anti-bios.

If you do flush the eye out, enlist help.  Frieda will scream blue murder, but just get hold of her with one hand underneath (legs dangling between your fingers), put the other hand over her back to hold her wings down, tilt her over and get someone ready to go for it with the saline.  Then get ready for a good shouting at by the whole flock and evil glares for the rest of the day  ;)

Flowerpower136

Re: Poorly eye
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 12:48 »
Pleased to report it is much improved. Not quite right, but nothing as bad as yesterday afternoon when pic was taken.
So hopefully a false alarm. Will keep a close watch on her, and be ready to pounce with the saline if necessary.
Thanks re advice and reassurance.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
A Poorly Hen

Started by mrs bouquet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 26, 2020, 19:57
by grinling
xx
Poorly leg

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 21:49
by jo40
xx
Is my hen poorly?

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 09:21
by kegs

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 40 queries.