Chicken Coops

• 10 Replies

cwmddu

Chicken Coops
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:55 »
Hello,  I'm still looking for suitable shed, chicken coop, I've seen some on eBay would love to know what you al think, but not sure if I can mention names on here, if I can't here is a little quiz the make is  C****N - the prices look good but I would rather pay more and have something to last any comments please

Prod

Re: Chicken Coops
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:36 »
Budget is probably the decisive factor in buying anything however my opinion is pay more and get better.(Buy cheap, pay twice) I bought a coop on Ebay that was hand made 5 years ago and it is still going strong and I live in the Brecon hills where we get extreme weather (thunderstorms as we speak)  Good Luck.....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 15:08 »
If you want a decent sized one, the Green Frog plastic ones are very good.  I have an Eglu as well for a trio of birds.  Both are really easy to keep clean, plus dry and comfortable for the birds year round.  I don't think I would go back to wooden coops now.

I agree with Prod in that you do get what you pay for.  The cheaper ones are pretty flimsy.

snow white

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 15:30 »
I have a good quality plastic coop. (name evades me here) and I wished I had bought it before my cheap wooden one.  If you are interested I will take some photos.  It cost about £250 including delivery and is a doddle to clean out.  Did not budge an inch in all the high winds (unlike my wooden one) and come with really practical accessories if you want them.

cwmddu

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 20:20 »
Thank you every one, back to searching again I think, still waiting for a date for house move, so I have until probably middle of July to keep looking, which is a good thing, but can't wait to get my little flock

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 20:30 »
Well getting some hens is a really nice bonus to add to a new house cwmddu, so it will all be worth the wait  :)

What are you looking at getting and how many?  That may also be a factor in the housing you choose.  Be warned that most of the coop and run options at the cheaper end of the scale offer tiny runs for the number of hens they say they house  ;)

cwmddu

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 20:40 »
Hello New Shoot

I'm thinking of 6 hens, possibly, 2 Cochins (but finding them hard to find in South Wales UK), 2 BlackRock's, possibly 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks, or 2 Bluebells, I've changed my mind once or twice. I would like hens with character and provide enough eggs to maybe sell a few and for family.  I think the coop and run we saw this morning on the Internet was possibly not very strongly built as it was not that expensive, I don't know if I'm allowed to say the make on this site
Honestly any advice or ideas on what chickens to get and chicken house, shed etc. is very greatly appreciated as I want to 'do right by my hens'.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 08:47 »
We made our own. I looked at buying one, but wanted something without too many joins and crevices, and they all seem to be made with overlapped planks. We kept it simple just used hardwood ply. With an external frame of pressure treated softwood. Inside its just a plain smooth box.  Very easy to keep clean, and hopefully minimal opportunity for red mite.

I'm in north Pembs and just started again with 8 mixed hybrids. Think there is a place further south that advertises pure breeds though.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 11:00 »
I don't know if I'm allowed to say the make on this site

Its fine if you just want advice and are not linked to the supplier in any way  :)

I have pure breed bantams and their egg production varies with the season and what mood they are in, but they all have great characters and are a lot of fun to own.   Mine keep going with the eggs sporadically until ages 5 or 6 and I have had them live to 10 years old.

For a year round supply of eggs hybrids are the most reliable, but their laying lives are much shorter.  You get 2 years, maybe 3 of eggs, which tail off year by year and they will not be so long lived.

Flowerpower's hen palace has been admired by us all and we've made our own much more modest coop before now.  Its not too difficult if you can't find one you like  :)

cwmddu

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 17:10 »
Really impressed with Flower Powers Palace, my other half would take forever to make one, and the day I move I will be frantic to get my chickens !!!! The make I saw previously was Cocoon, but don't think it's that strong, and I am worried about Foxes, we live in a semi urban place and I think the foxes are worse than in the country as they don't have a lot of fear of humans. 
I'm going round in circles at the moment, looking for right housing, and of course choosing my hens, I think I will get there in the end.

Thanks for your replies and I will of course keep you posted as to how I am getting on and looking for lots of information and advice. Will attempt to add a smiley next time

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 21:38 »
One of our 'coops' was a 6x4 garden shed, frugal as it was given to me, but they can be quite cheap at times.  We adapted it by adding nest boxes, which my OH fitted into the side, but they could be put inside and screwed to the wall of the shed, and perches were screwed to the sides too.  Okay, a bit big for 6 chickens, but tall enough so you can get inside easily for cleaning and egg collecting, plus chickens are addictive!!!    ;) :D

Oh and flowerpower, that coop looks just the job!  lovely!
DSCF0005 (3).JPG
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 21:39 by GrannieAnnie »

xx
chicken coops

Started by Chablis Dog on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2016, 20:42
by grinling
xx
chicken coops

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 17:35
by dizzylizzie
xx
chicken coops

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 10:08
by Dominic
xx
Do Chicken coops smell?

Started by stompy on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 00:01
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 35 queries.