Oyster shell and/or grit?

• 7 Replies

Goldfinger

Oyster shell and/or grit?
« on: June 19, 2010, 14:23 »

Hi all, I'm preparing to get my chooks soon, and I'm in the process of stocking up on thier food ready for thier arrival. (I'm ready with the layers pellets and mixed corn)

My question is, do i need both crushed oyster shell (which i've just bought today), and grit for them??

Does the oyster shell do the same job as the grit as well as providing the calcium for thier shells?

And is there anything else I should be getting beforehand??

Thanks in advance for all your advices,

GF

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Oyster shell and/or grit?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 14:52 »
Hello there the difference, oyster shell is needed for the egg shell quality and grit is needed for them to grind up their food in the crop, so yes both are needed, if they free range not so much grit is needed as they will pick this up as they dig for treats! Make sure mixed corn is only given as a treat in the afternoon as all they need is in the pellets. Hanging some greens up cabbage or broccoli in their run is also good for them. good luck with your new girls they are quite addictive!!! :D

Goldfinger

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 21:41 »

Thanks sneezer, what do you class as 'grit' though, coarse type sand with 'bits in it or is it specific grit for chickens??

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 23:14 »
They sell grit specifically for chickens at the same place I get my layers pellets - mine has oyster shell in too.
Today I hung up some left over watercress - I'd bought the living salad type from Sainsbuty's in a pot for 75p had loads of it myself but it was starting to flower so i gave it the girls. they were demented they loved it so much!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:37 »
Also have you got your worming products Flubevet 1% is recommended on this site and its what I use, it's good because there is no egg withdrawal and it covers all the nasty worms, most grit will tell you whether it has added oyster shell or not, and poultry shield for your coop to help stop the red mite, just a few other ideas. :)

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:15 »

Where do I get flubevet? I've done a search on here and can't find who said where I can get it  :(. In the search though, someone did say don't use diatom for mites, poultry shield is better, where do I get that??

Apart from them, I'm off to get the grit now and fingers crossed that's everything....

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 11:53 »
I bought Flubevet from www.animalmedicines.co.uk I think it was £14 and free delivery, I have just bought some poultry shield from mole valley on the internet, don't panic you will always get help on here! :D

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 17:35 »
Always worth keeping a spare roll of chicken wire in - if you have a gap anywhere, they'll find it  :lol:

xx
Grit / Oyster shell does same job?

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 15:21
by darkbrowneggs
xx
Oyster Shell / Grit

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 11:08
by Lindeggs
xx
Grit / Oyster Shell

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 23:53
by hillfooter
xx
oyster shell , grit or both?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 20:24
by ehs284

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 39 queries.