Chicken Pellets & Spuds

• 10 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Chicken Pellets & Spuds
« on: March 20, 2010, 19:58 »
I dug over my spuds beds and added some pellets and FB&B a couple of weeks ago but I had thought of sprinkling a couple more pellets in the bottom of the trench when i plant them out would this be ok if I covered with compost or could they still burn?

Thanks
Missy

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Chicken Pellets & Spuds
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 20:09 »
i put them in, and slug pellets, i dont put compost over them either, i just sprinkle them in the trench.

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:56 »
I've had to resort to sprinkling chicken manure pellets over the soil a few weeks before planting to give the foxes on my site a chance to dig around looking for the chickens I've supposedly buried there, then dig it in before considering planting anything.  There's nothing worse than seeing all my hard work destroyed by the foxes as I found out to my peril last year  :mad:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 15:34 »
Good thinking, painted lady. Sometimes one has to outfox the fox. BTW, nice to see you again.

Timebandit

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 16:29 »
Have just done the same as painted lady 8)

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 18:27 »
I put my chicken pellets on where my potatoes are going to go and dug them in to the soil.  Today we went down the allotment and next to where I put pellets is a raised bed that we intend to grow carrots, parsnips and spring onions, there where to great big holes dug in the corners. Do you think this may have been foxes.  We have now covered the raised bed in enviromesh and didnt plant seeds just in case.   :unsure:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 18:31 »
That sound slike foxes to me  :lol: :lol:

We ended up growing our potatoes under green netting last year to stop the little blighters  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 18:35 »
Oh no, I think again with spuds, I have brought some blood fish and bone to put at the bottom of the trench and dig in before I plant the tattys, this will encourage them more won`t it.

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 09:33 »
Oh no, I think again with spuds, I have brought some blood fish and bone to put at the bottom of the trench and dig in before I plant the tattys, this will encourage them more won`t it.

... bonemeal & fish, blood & bone are also fox magnets BTW, if not stronger than chicken manure  >:(   but is good for slow release of nutrients over a long growing period

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:17 »
I had to stop using BFB thanks to our local urban foxes (one year I found one of my seed spuds (intact) about 30 feet away; don't know whether it was propelled through the air or the fox carried it there before deciding it wasn't edible after all!)

Not had so much trouble with pelleted chicken manure although I've got a suspicion the foxes might have moved on (famous last words!!!)  ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:27 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

RichardA

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 13:09 »
Off at a tangent the talk about foxes has just reminded me about one of my earlier dogs who used to love to get at the bone meal if I had the top off a tub - the brown moustache on her black face was always a give away
R

xx
Chicken pellets.

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 18:51
by Digger Tom
xx
Chicken pellets!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2012, 22:37
by Donnay
xx
Wet chicken poo pellets

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 21:50
by Trillium
xx
Chicken pellets

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 19, 2017, 12:23
by New shoot

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 39 queries.