Does anyone make their own cheese?

• 41 Replies

SalJ1980

Re: Does anyone make their own cheese?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 22:37 »
I make paneer sometimes when we do a curry, it's dead easy - heat up whole milk in a thick-bottomed pan, just as it starts to come to the boil turn the heat down low and add the juice of a large lemon. Stir as it separates into curds and whey, then strain through a cleesecloth (the easiest way I've found to do this is to line a sieve or colander with the cloth). Squeeze as much of the liquid out as possible, then tie the cloth up and hang it over the sink off the tap for 30 minutes or so to drain the rest of the liquid. You could also stand it in a sieve/colander for a bit with a plate on top and weigh it down with a couple of tins to squeeze any. Then put it in the fridge to chill for a bit, and bob's your uncle! Very very easy. I usually use the large (4 pint?) bottles of milk which gives a ball of paneer about twice the size of a mozzarella ball.
Sal

Organic...so far!

Poolfield2

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 22:41 »
Thanks Mumofstig I'm going to have a go cos at present I buy 2kg of organic yoghurt a week which costs me £4.60. I used to have one of those electric ones but it broke in about 1984 and the rplecement ones seem ridiculously expensive.

I DONT NEED MORE GADGETS, I DON'T NEED MORE GADGETS, I don't need 8more gadgets Idon't6need more4gadgets :D :D

oops, I thought I was altering the size of text but failed ::)

Trillium

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 03:29 »
I've taken this from the link to schmidling which I posted earlier:

There are two characteristics of commercial milk that conspire to make life difficult for the cheesemaker. First of all, it is Pasteurized and the native flora and fauna are killed. This is not necessarily bad but simply puts a limit on the ultimate flavor potential of the cheese. However, this limit we can live with and as mentioned elsewhere, is a good compromise in favor of safety.

The really serious problem with store milk is that it is homogenized. This is a process that breaks up the fat globules to such a small size that they are forever in suspension and never again separate as in fresh milk. The bad news is that it does something else to the fat that interferes with making good quality cheese. The effect is to produce a wax-like texture that sticks to the teeth and hinders flavor development. The fix is to use the lowest fat milk available and replace the needed fat with whipping cream. Although the whipping cream is also homogenized, the fat to casein ratio seems to prevent the fat from producing the texture defect.

I have experimented with various milks and have actually achieved the best results using powdered skim milk combined with whipping cream. Following the directions on the box and adding 1 pint cream per gallon of milk produces a cheese as good or better than by using fresh whole milk. All the procedures which follow can and should be made using this milk. The only cheese that seems to actually perform better with homo milk is Stilton.

Moosey

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 09:29 »
She was making her own cheese on Victorian Farm last night!  Don't know if there is a repeat?  Was really interseting!  :)
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 09:42 »
Victorian farm repeats saturday i think at about 7pm.  Will check in a mo..

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 10:45 »
Thank you Val, very interesting.  If the book I have ordered is rubbish I'll order the Katie Thear one.

Just wish it would stop snowing so I can go out and get some equipment.
Cheese makes everything better.

Oscar Too

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 14:55 »
Oh no, I want to start now.....bringing back memories of my childhood
Then do it.  We only pass this way once we might as well try everything.

I've done it, very often.  I want to do it AGAIN.  In fact I want to go back to a smallholding with a couple of jerseys, a polytunnel, an acre of spuds and a good broadband connection.  SWMBO is not keen though....

Poolfield2

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 15:51 »
SWMBO ???

Sorry I'm being slow, what does that stand for please :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 16:20 »
SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED :lol:

Poolfield2

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 19:58 »
Doh!!! I've worked that out once before and forgotten again ::) Thanks for putting me out of my misery :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 15:49 »
My cheesemaking empire has begun.  I'm starting small and using the instructions on this website.http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?action=post;topic=30339.0;num_replies=39
Going to attempt two kinds.  One will be with supermarket milk and the other will be Trilliums recipe with the dried milk and cream.

But which one is better?  There's only one way to find out, FIGHT :lol:

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2009, 17:32 »
She was making her own cheese on Victorian Farm last night!  Don't know if there is a repeat?  Was really interseting!  :)

There's a book available about this programme (really detailed too)
it's £20, though.
the section on cheesemaking has information about how to make it - even if you don't have a big vat!
its isbn is 9781862058217 if you're interested.
 :tongue2:

xx
Just tried to make the cottage cheese - what am I doing wrong?

Started by Katisha on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 18:13
by Katisha
xx
Cheese

Started by Esme on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2007, 12:04
by Esme
xx
Cheese

Started by lobot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 19:21
by Trillium
xx
Cottage cheese

Started by jamima on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 12:29
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 34 queries.