whats every ones favourite bit of cheese

• 69 Replies

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
Re: whats every ones favourite bit of cheese
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2009, 18:11 »
I only ever found one cheese I couldn't eat - that was Esrom from Denmark which was not even like sweaty feet but tasted like B.O. smells!! :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Not very keen on cheeses with added 'bits' - worse ever must be with Christmas Pudding!

Best ever cheeses are associated with particular places and memories :-
Can still taste the Stracchino I had in Tuscany 30 years ago  ::) ::) ::)
Travnik made in Bosnia is better than parmesan  :tongue2: :tongue2:
They used to make a wonderful bio-dynamic cheese at Botton village near whitby -isit still made?
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Paul Plots

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2009, 02:30 »
My favourite everyday (?) cheese was one I bought (when I could afford it) as a student - crumbly cheddar from a shop in Coldharbour Lane, Bristol. I guess it actually came from Cheddar but it might have been from the shops freezer!!  ::) What ever it was - it left some great memories of cheese on toast or just plain bread. Such a treat after meals at the college dining hall!  :tongue2:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

chrissie B

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2009, 21:04 »
i agree about the christma pud cheese it was awful but i do like to eat my Christmas cake with a slice of nice cheddar.
im so glad this post has gone as far as it has and the array of cheeses that people like just wonderful .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2009, 07:26 »
When I was growing up (many many years ago) there used to be a local Nottinghamshire cream cheese called Colwick cheese which was really really nice on crusty bread with sliced fresh tomatoes. Unfortunatly it is no longer made. Never been able to find one that comes close to that - or is it me just looking back with rose coloured spectacles?  ???
Staffies are softer than you think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2009, 01:38 »
When I was growing up (many many years ago) there used to be a local Nottinghamshire cream cheese called Colwick cheese which was really really nice on crusty bread with sliced fresh tomatoes. Unfortunatly it is no longer made. Never been able to find one that comes close to that - or is it me just looking back with rose coloured spectacles?  ???

Not the EEC to blame this time?

Occasionally, in the past, locally farm-made cheeses did seem to disappear.... for various reasons.  :(

Nothing to do with cheese but I loved Colemans "French" mustard - now no longer available as EEC (I think) declared that it could not be called "French" as it was made in UK. So far I have found nothing to match it even remotely. I bought the last two glass-jars I could lay my hands on locally and that was it - gone!  >:(

Has anyone else noticed a cheese they once enjoyed vanishing?  :(

Sue33

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2009, 12:49 »

my favourite has to be cheddar, but I've recently been converted to Stilton, used to hate the stuff when I was younger, hubby make a delicious broccoli & stilton soup - I've even been known to have a few olives too  :) (not with the soup)  ::)

chrissie B

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2009, 12:57 »
carnt emagine life without cheese think it would be a bit on the bland side ,
chrissie b

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2009, 13:21 »
Nothing to do with cheese but I loved Colemans "French" mustard - now no longer available as EEC (I think) declared that it could not be called "French" as it was made in UK. So far I have found nothing to match it even remotely. I bought the last two glass-jars I could lay my hands on locally and that was it - gone! 

Isn't the Colman's Dijon mustard the same thing....just a different name to make the EEC happy? It's what I use :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2009, 21:05 »
Nothing to do with cheese but I loved Colemans "French" mustard - now no longer available as EEC (I think) declared that it could not be called "French" as it was made in UK. So far I have found nothing to match it even remotely. I bought the last two glass-jars I could lay my hands on locally and that was it - gone! 

Isn't the Colman's Dijon mustard the same thing....just a different name to make the EEC happy? It's what I use :)
Completely different in my expert (?) opinion!!  :( Coleman's French Mustard was a decidedly English version and nothing like the French Diijon. (I don't dislike FD but it is not the same honestly!!  :( )

It was darker, milder and lovely - distinct and had a slight vinegar-twist as well as its own individual uses.... fantastic on pork sandwiches or woth salad.... It is a thing of the past.

This alone would almost have won my vote to leave the EEC!! :closedeyes:

Have I just missed something  ??? Colemans Diijon?? not French Diijon?
It's on the top of my list for Saturday shopping - Wow if it is the same as Coleman's French Mustard life might be complete again!!  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2009, 21:48 »
Look complete range here...wonder what the savora is like?

http://www.colmansmustardshop.com/acatalog/Colman_s_Mustards.html

xx
What's your favourite British cheese?

Started by WG. on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

32 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 19:15
by jacnal
xx
Cheese

Started by lobot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 19:21
by Trillium
xx
Cheese

Started by Esme on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2007, 12:04
by Esme
xx
Homemade Cheese

Started by Axe Victim on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

43 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 14:08
by mashauk

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 37 queries.