New to hatching chicks advice please

• 2 Replies

Hensprirt

New to hatching chicks advice please
« on: February 23, 2013, 18:18 »
I have just bought an Brinsea incubator and have 6 black Araucana hatching eggs on the way and have never hatched an egg before.  I do have 10 hens (Old Cotswold Legbar x 8 and 2 Burford Brown) already but bought them at POL. The 10 hens have been vaccinated for Mareks disease and  coccidiosis. I am going to buy feed with ACS Chick crumb but should I vaccinate the chicks with Mareks at 1 day old? When do you start feeding chick grit? Any other info greatly appreciated.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: New to hatching chicks advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:29 »
I have only ever hatched using a broody so can't comment on incubators.

My original flock were vacinated but I have not done any of the new chicks.  I don't use ACS chick crumb either as I don't want any of my hens to eat medicated feed.  The 16 chicks I have hatched last and this year have been really healthy and strong.  This could be down to the broody though as my current chicks are only 2 weeks old and Mum has them outdoors so they are really hardy.

If they are in a brooder you can give them chick grit/budgie grit when they move on to growers pellets.  I don't think they need it when on chick crumb but may be wrong.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Re: New to hatching chicks advice please
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:13 »
Grit is not needed until 8 weeks and even then only a pinch per jam jar of food you could say. 8 weeks is also the age you can start to switch them onto growers pellets.

Switch on the incubator as soon as the eggs arrive and get it upto temp. Also let the eggs settle for 12-24hours before placing in the incubator. Count day 1 as day zero and turn the eggs every day 3, 5 or 7 times a day for the first 18 days. Then increase the humidity to around 60-70% for the remainding days. Temp should be 37.5deg C.

Good luck, hatching can get addictive :)

xx
Hatching Chicks!!! Advice

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2015, 22:29
by joyfull
xx
Preparing for broody hatching her chicks... Advice please

Started by moomintroll on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 15:49
by moomintroll
xx
hatching chicks under a broody???

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 08:18
by Sassy
xx
Hatching chicks and vaccination

Started by Biguba on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 15, 2010, 14:30
by Biguba

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 35 queries.