Hen stopped laying....?

• 6 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Hen stopped laying....?
« on: February 04, 2013, 13:00 »
I have a maran hen who was the first out of my flock to lay an egg, she even laid on some of the minus tempreture days we had recently. Anyhow then she had a fight with one of the young cockerals and has stopped laying it seems since. She is up and about and eating well and we have seperated the cockerel from her (in a seperate coop/run over 20metres away). Anyhow I just wondered if anyone can give me any ideas as to why she isnt laying?
She has a sister that doesn't lay that much, maybe 1 egg every 3 or 4 days. Its quite confusing as they have food and water everyday and lots of space to run around in. They are both just under a year old. All the rest of the flock including hens younger than them are laying and in most cases 5 eggs out of 7 days if not one egg a day.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated, thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hen stopped laying....?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:38 »
how old is she and is she a pure breed Marans or a Marans x?
What breed and age are your other hens?
Staffies are softer than you think.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:27 »
She hatched May last year, all the other chickens are younger than her. She has a sister the same age and a light sussex cockerel hatched in the same batch so its the same age also. I'd say roughly 9 months old.

As far as im aware she is a pure bred her eggs come out a nice dark brown with speckles.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 19:44 »
I had 2 hens, 1 laid, 1 didn't ever.
She might still be getting over the cockerals. Do you need all the cockerals especially if they are upsetting your hen. Might take a few weeks.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:10 »
I have 2 cockerals in total now. 2 runs one with 3 hens and a cockerel. The other pen has 5 hens and a cockerel which is the one the marans are in. The cockerel I have that runs with her is an absolute gentleman, I couldnt ask for a better example. He looks after his ladies and when I give him treats he throws it on the floor to make sure his girls get first dibs :) Hes not to brutal with the treading, he does his dance and if there not interested he moves on to the next.
The cockerel that was fighting with her has been culled 4 days ago and is now in the freezer. Even though I seperated him from her over 2 weeks ago now im hoping now he is out of sight she may go back to laying again. Maybe she's just a bit unbalanced in her hormones or something as its still her first year of laying. But I have also heard marans are prone to catching lots of bugs. I shall keep a close eye on her and post back here when she begins to lay again. Fingers crossed.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 11:16 »
Red maran (name given as her comb is slightly redder than her sister, pink maran) is now laying again. Woooo hooo!  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:18 »
Great, she must be enjoying the bit of extra daylight we are getting.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
stopped laying

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 23:22
by Jo-n-Neil
xx
Stopped laying

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 08:28
by Casey76
xx
Just stopped laying

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 18:54
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 37 queries.