floor of run - shingle?

• 10 Replies

feathered friends

floor of run - shingle?
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:35 »
Hi all, has anyone used  shingle in their run?  I'm new to keeping chickens so I'm a bit confused. My garden is low maintenace and apart from a patio and 3 flower beds it is covered in cotswold stone.  I have read different advice on various sites, and placing pea shingle on top of slabs sounds the easiest to keep clean.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: floor of run - shingle?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50 »
not sure as it could possibly hurt their feet which may lead to bumblefooot  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 13:47 »
I would have thought that it would be a nightmare to keep clean.  You wouldn't be able to poo pick without half of the shingle sticking to it.  If you tried to hose clean the poo would just go in between the shingle so you would have a layer of poo on the slabs with the shingle sat on the top.   :tongue2:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

feathered friends

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 14:38 »
Thank you, what would you suggest?

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 15:14 »
Our hens have a covered run which is on top of concrete patio slabs, these are then covered with easibed (a horse bedding derived from wood) or similar, some owners use wood chip.

The bedding is easy to poo pick and every now and again we dispose of all of it and have the opportunity to give the slabs a good clean with disinfectant so it is easy to keep clean.

Is your run covered?
Helen

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 16:58 »
Think shingle too small, but we use 20mm gravel which looks fine and is easy to look after. No problem with their feet, but don't stand near them when they decide to use it for dustbathing.

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:09 »
If your run is completely covered and sheltered from the wind, then horse bedding (easybed/cosybed or aubiose) would be good.  It is very low maintenance, easy to poo pick, or muck out completely; composts readily, and if maintained well doesn't smell.

feathered friends

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:38 »
Thanks  all, lots of good advice.  (So pleased I found this site)  You have given me lots to think about, I was getting a bit confussed.  Going to check out local pet shops this weekend to   see what bedding etc they stock, and then sit down and decide what I'm going to use.

I'm having three ex batt hens, but I have to wait to  the end of Feb before they are ready to be homed. Can't wait!!!!

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 12:01 »
Pet shops are really expensive compared with the Farm supply type shops for feed, bedding and all your other poultry needs.  Our local ones are Millbry Hill and Green Farm Health, sure there will be something similar where you are.  I find them really helpful as all of the staff are really interested in animals.  :)

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 08:28 »
Pet shops are really expensive compared with the Farm supply type shops for feed, bedding and all your other poultry needs.  Our local ones are Millbry Hill and Green Farm Health, sure there will be something similar where you are.  I find them really helpful as all of the staff are really interested in animals.  :)

Agree pet shops will be extortionate usually because they sell items in very small quantities. Definitely use a horsey/farm shop. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

feathered friends

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 12:41 »
Thanks, I have found somewhere that stocks animals feed's, bedding etc, and they also sell Ex Batt food which I need.  Going in on Saturday with a shopping list!

xx
PEA SHINGLE

Started by feathered friends on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 11:38
by feathered friends
xx
benefits of pea shingle

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 01:23
by Abacus
question
Chickens on shingle

Started by slikk on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 21:00
by slikk
xx
woodchip/bark Vs 'pea shingle'

Started by cammi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:25
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 30 queries.