How many courgette plants do you grow

• 56 Replies

brown thumb

Re: How many courgette plants do you grow
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2011, 12:30 »
ive grown 3 black beauty x2grisette de provence x and 2 golden zucchini plus from the same pk ive grown  di nizza x2  patty pan x2 and yellow scallop x2 sweet dumppling x3 butter nut x4  and 4 jack o lanterns and 3 rougee vif d etampes pumpkins  lots of soups etc

Paul Plots

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 05:27 »
ive grown 3 black beauty x2grisette de provence x and 2 golden zucchini plus from the same pk ive grown  di nizza x2  patty pan x2 and yellow scallop x2 sweet dumppling x3 butter nut x4  and 4 jack o lanterns and 3 rougee vif d etampes pumpkins  lots of soups etc

A fair few then!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Growster...

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2011, 21:17 »
The good thing about courgettes is, that even when they're only about 2" or 3" long, they're marvellous!

So if it looks as though there's going to be a glut - say on a Sunday, then backpedal, and have five or six tiddlers on a Friday, and you get the best of both worlds...

Did you understand that...I'm not sure I explained it properly...?

Paul Plots

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 22:47 »
The good thing about courgettes is, that even when they're only about 2" or 3" long, they're marvellous!

So if it looks as though there's going to be a glut - say on a Sunday, then backpedal, and have five or six tiddlers on a Friday, and you get the best of both worlds...

Did you understand that...I'm not sure I explained it properly...?

You said: Pick-em little & early  ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2011, 01:27 »
The very best thing about courgettes is approaching neighbours you secretly don't like with a full carrier bag and a welcoming smile and just watching them run away :)

I say it every year...it never gets old  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

RsT

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2011, 07:22 »
6 this year!  ???
Originally planned 3 varieties with one of each; the "spare" of each survived so ended up with two of each.
Only had one last year which was a rescue from a garden centre and planted out small and late, and though delicious there just weren't enough.
Have plans for chutney etc this year and a variety of courgette dishes!  :)

brown thumb

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 22:32 »
 i think i will be after courgette and squash recipes and pickles i made a fantastic marrow and ginger jam last year tasted just like marmalade   in the war i think they called it a poor mans marmalade

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 08:26 »
I planted 3 out again this year. More than enough to sustain 6 of us who love courgettes, plus  plenty for chutneys and the like.

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 09:18 »
I planned for three courgettes, two 'Green Bush' and a yellow one, but they all germinated, so I think I've got four or five green (only two courgettes so far), one yellow, three butternut squash, two pumpkins, three marrow (had two already) and about six cucumbers, including three lemon. I put loads of cukes in, because I love them when they are tiny, for snacks.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 14:02 »
I hate courgette but I went to a local fete where the local gardener's association had a stall of left over seedling and veg plants from the local allotment holders. I said I would like any interesting squash so long as it wasn't courgette or marrow. This chap said, 'try this, its a yellow summer bush squash', so I did - googled the variety when I got home and found out it was only a yellow courgette! Think he was laughing to himself all day on that sale! :mad:

I am so hoping they taste nicer that the shop bought ones as it is starting to fruit...

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 20:00 »
more courgettes means fewer squash, so we don't grow many, 2 i think, although things got a bit confused in the seedling stage so i'm not 100% sure. Stripey all the way.

gobs

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 21:02 »
2. And in August we wish for them to die.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
COURGETTE PLANTS

Started by queenb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 17:56
by shokkyy
xx
Courgette Plants

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2013, 00:09
by simbamara
xx
courgette plants

Started by gread on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 18, 2007, 23:42
by Annie
xx
COURGETTE PLANTS

Started by queenb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 19:41
by DD.

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 32 queries.