benefits of pea shingle

• 17 Replies

Lorie

benefits of pea shingle
« on: January 16, 2011, 14:36 »
Fighting the elements regarding the girls run..24'x24'..wood bark,wood chippings ,still a muddy mess and whiffy smell,despite raking and disenfecting. Have been advised that an alternative to use is 20mm peashingle. Has anyone else used this method ? Would love to know how you got on. Many thanks..Lorie..x.

8doubles

Re: benefits of pea shingle
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 14:55 »
Once apon a time i had pea shingle in the flower borders.
It is pretty much everywhere now as they can hoof it a looong way. :)
That is pea sized pea shingle, they could probably get the 20mm shingle into orbit.

retribution

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 14:58 »
i am also intrested in this as we have our run on the patio area but we currently put straw down and have been advised wood chip instead as the straw blows about and when it gets wet it doesnt last. where did you get your wood chip and what do you use to disinfectent it ? or if anyone has any better ideas

bluemaran

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 18:11 »
Have tried this but found it gets stuck to your boots and gets everywhere.Looks good though when it first goes down,but unless you put a proper base down it will soon disapear into the soil below.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 22:21 »
Hi Lorie, I have pea shingle in my run which is about 10ft x 15ft under that I have a polythene barrier, the hens love the pea shingle and at the end of the day I just brush it back into place at the end of the week wash it down. Pol
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

retribution

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:36 »
Could be total wrong information, but the reason we currently have straw down on the patio area our run ison is i was told that the girls need to have it soft under foot. wouldnt the pea shingle be the sameas the patio slabs ? The straw goes nasty once it has got went sowe need to do something too, probably wood chip unless anyone can suggest different. (sorry to take over thrad a bit)

pekinpete

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:19 »
i agree with members who use pea shingle unless wood chippings are cleaned up regularly it is a ideal breeding ground for fungus spores which are harmful to birds causing breathing problems, there is a product on the market that is made from recycled rubber which is animal friendly

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 16:23 »
We have (or had) pea gravel in the run but there's not much of it left now. It's easy to top up and feet stay reasonably clean.  There are also several areas around the garden with pea gravel and pebbles. It's amazing how far the chooks can back kick it but they are having fun and only takes  a few minutes  brush it back in place.

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 18:12 »
We have 20mm gravel (not pea shingle) and it's great. You can rake it, clean with a hose or bucket etc. They will dig into it and have a sort of dust/rock bath despite the particle sizes. Here it's about £30 tonne - seems a lot, but lasts forever.  As said it's good for clean feet - theirs and yours. Well worth while IMHO.

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 18:13 »
We have 20mm gravel (not pea shingle) and it's great. You can rake it, clean with a hose or bucket etc. They will dig into it and have a sort of dust/rock bath despite the particle sizes. Here it's about £30 tonne - seems a lot, but lasts forever.  As said it's good for clean feet - theirs and yours. Well worth while IMHO.

retribution

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 18:20 »
sorry to try and hijack but should i just leave nothing on the slabs then or should i get some 20mm stones put over the slabs?

jinty1911

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 19:34 »
My garden is mostly slabbed apart from 5 peagravel/pebble bits and borders.  The girls haven't had any foot problems from them and easy to poo-pick and get hose out for a weekly scoosh.

Ehs284 - I meant my feet though the girls' stay clean. It's just their heads that get dirty.  ::)  ::)  ::)

Carshay

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 19:59 »
Pea gravel sounds good but do you have to put that weed fabric down as well tostop it disappearing into the earth eventually?

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 20:28 »
I would not put the weed fabric down it can be ripped, I put my pea shingle on polythene and put holes into it for the water to drain away

jinty1911

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 20:30 »
Think the black stuff would not be as much fun for them as digging through to the dirt and getting bugs and worms.  :D Any weeds wont stand a chance anyway and it might stop drainage.

xx
PEA SHINGLE

Started by feathered friends on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 11:38
by feathered friends
question
Chickens on shingle

Started by slikk on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 21:00
by slikk
smiley
floor of run - shingle?

Started by feathered friends on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 01, 2012, 12:41
by feathered friends
xx
woodchip/bark Vs 'pea shingle'

Started by cammi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:25
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 35 queries.