new to making jam and preserves

• 22 Replies

BevvieP

new to making jam and preserves
« on: September 13, 2010, 23:08 »
Hi
I became an allotment holder this April and currently embarking on making a few jams and preserves with a glut of goodies!  I bought Val's 'Easy Jam's, Chutney's and Preserves' book which is fab-full of yummy recipes and I have tentatively started my preserving, however I have a few questions:
Are crab apples from all tree's safe to eat even if they look diseased?  i.e black specks/spots-I peel of course but I have started to make my own pectin and the skins are left on whilst boiling for that recipe.
Secondly can you tell me how much pectin to add to recipes.  Today I made the marrow and ginger jam and the recipe stated to add 5fl oz of pectin at the end but I assume that is shop bought pectin?  Do I add the same amount if it is home made pectin?  My jam seemed quite thick as I transferred it to the jars.  I did only make half the quantity in the recipe as I didn't have enough jars! (If I halve the fruit and sugar, do I halve the pectin and lemon juice - I assumed so and did!)
Also, one final question, should the mrrow and ginger jam be quite a dark colour.  I imagined it would be pale yellow but once I added the sugar it took on a very dark colour; I am hoping I havent burn't it as the recipe said to boil for around 20 mins which I did exactly.
Apologies for so many questions but I am anxious to get preserving right as I plan to do quite a lot of it if possible!  I want to try the carrot jam tomorrow!
I would be grateful for any advice re my questions above?
Many thanks.
I love the book Val.
Bev

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: new to making jam and preserves
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 23:56 »
Sounds a bit ott to use lemon and pectin I find the lemon gives a good set normally with marrow and ginger I've not used pectin so i'm not sure about quatities.
My marrow and ginger is very pale normally.
You may need to experiment with the heat to get a set with out burning, I've got some hedgerow jam to scrap off the pan tommorow the potato peeler works well.

Do you test for a set on a cold plate?

Don't be disheartened its all good fun and it will taste wonderful.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 00:10 »
It's 5 oz of your own pectin stock. I have never managed to get a good set with Marrow & Ginger Jam without using pectin stock. It's hard to know whether all crab apples are safe without knowing your location (vicinity to road, fumes, etc) but, if you're unsure, peel them before you make the stock. I do think that somehow you managed to burn the jam as it normally comes out pale. As said before, you may need to experiment with the heat to get a set without the burning.
Val
Recipes Galore!

BevvieP

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 22:56 »
Thanks for your replies.

I think I must have burned the jam as I am sure it should look a yellowy colour!  It tastes good though and hubby likes it so it's still edible.  The crab apples I got were on the edge of a country lane, quite near the road but I always wash them, hope that is ok...I don't want to poison anyone!  I expect when they are being boiled they will be ok?  I am nervous about all of this and think I may well stear clear of crab apples...are there any types that are unsafe then?
I am doint the carrot jam tonight from your book Val but hoping I havent made an error with it as the recipe states to put the cooked carrots through a blender and sieve and I put the juice through too...should I have just strained the carrots and discarded the juice they cooked in; it didn't say to.  I hope it works as been on it for about 3 hours now with all the prep etc.  Also one of my lemons was a bit brown inside but I had already added the juice to the pan when I spotted it; will that be ok!  No wonder these fancy jams are so expensive at garden centres etc!  They are labour intensive but fun if the end result is good, I suppose I should soldier on as this is only my third batch so still very much a novice!
Thanks again-any advice re the above would be great.
Bev

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:03 »
I have also just started making my own jams and found the first couple a bit  ... tense But once you have done a couple you will get into the swing of things.
I am a novice at this but I wouldn't worry about the lemon now as you are going to boil the jam anyway, so you might as well carry on with it ( bit late now I guess)

Be warned it is very addictive I have now made over 40 jars of various jams and chutneys and another 4lb of marrow chutney tonight. There is one thing you will need to make your own bread to go with your preserves :)

Ref the carrot water, I make a lot of carrot and coriander soup, when cooking the carrots I use the least amount of water as possible as when you cook carrots most of their goodness is left in the water. When cooking for these type of recipes cut the carrots as thin as possible so they take less water and time to cook.

Most of all have fun :)

BevvieP

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:44 »
Hi thanks for your reply.
I did eventually manage to get a slight (proabably good enough) set with the carrot jam, only prob was that I had added the lemons according to the recipe of two per 1lb, and of course weighing in the water I added 8 lemons! So even tho I got a set the jam was far too acidic, about turned my mouth inside out, so 6 jars of carrot jam down the sink! 
Having bought Val's recipe book, which I love by the way, my only critisism is that some things need to be stated to us newbies as it may seem clear to the wise but isn't obvious...ie me retaining the water, also it's hard going trying to find out how long exactly these items keep for once opened, it would be useful to have a 'quick info guide' on each page, stating how long the items keep etc, I know its at the beginning of the book about storage unopened and says generally about 4 weeks once open etc but it's quite tricky to find, hope Val doesnt mind me saying, just that I think it would make it more 'user friendly' for us thickies who have yet to become knowledgeable and experienced.  Also I read carrot jam does not keep well at al without the addition of brandy unjet it isnt mentioned in the recipe ingredients, it says at the top a 'useful addition'?  What's the advice on that one as I want to try the recipe again.  One other thing can I use glass jars with plastic screwtops for pickles?  I know they are not ideal for jam as they have to be airtight and topped when hot but can I use with pickles as I have a few decorative jars of this type and am venturing on pickles and chutney this weekend!
Sorry for rambling but need all the help and advice I get.
ps. I tell you one piece of advice Val gives which is spot on and that is the wash powder int he bottom of the burnt pan overnight-works a treat!
Many thanks
Bev

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 13:00 »
1. Yes you can use plastic screw top jars for pickles and chutneys. See Page 113. Make certain they are lined with a plastic preserving skin as vinegar corrodes metal.

2. I can't see why Carrot Jam that has had both pectin and acid in the form of lemon added would not keep like any other jam. The preservative is the sugar.

3. We cannot amend the book as it is published.

hamstergbert

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 18:19 »
Hi Bevvie, my marrow and ginger is a brownish colour and it certainly isnt burnt.

As to the crab apples, best if you can get them either away from the road, even the side of the tree away from the road is better than nothing, or by a quiet lane.  If however you are like the rest of us and stuck with what you can get, you are OK as long as you continue to wash them very thoroughly as you describe, before getting stuck in.   I only cut out anything that is almost crawling away - bits of scab etc have to take their chances in the boil up, and so far I aint lost anyone through jam poisoning yet!
Mar_ginger.JPG
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 20:29 »
Mine is also that colour

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 21:12 »
Mine is also that colour

yes but yours is chutney.....Bev was talking about JAM  :lol:  ::)

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 21:41 »
that would be why then :lol:   :blush:

hamstergbert

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 11:53 »
mine's jam!

(and yes, I do cut off both of the lips from everything I make into my jams.  After all everyone knows about "cutting two lips from Hamster's jam")

I'll get me coat.
marginger_lbl.JPG
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:58 by hamstergbert »

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 22:19 »
Hi Bev just a thought I make carrot and orange jam, like the soup not so acidic a nice flavour combination

Oliveview

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 10:48 »
My freind gave me a book all about preserving foods, either by smoking, bottling making jam etc.  There is a pumpkin and orange jam recipe in there, so today I am going to give it a go (we have had a glut of pumpkin this year :D)  Will let you know what it is like.
Pamela

Junie

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54 »
I made my first Marrow & Ginger jam last year - my first ever attempt at any jam - It turned into ?Marrow and ginger fudge!!! 
It needed a sharp knife to get it out of the jar, but put into a jar and heated it made a lovely hot sauce for ice cream or rice pudding - so it was not wasted.
This year has been much ore successful - With the help of Val's book I know what I did wrong.  I have full shelves of jam and Cutney this year - all edible from the jar  :tongue2:

xx
What Chutney & Preserves are you making?

Started by amandaandherveg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 22:12
by Beetroot queen
xx
Jams and Preserves

Started by digital_biscuit on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 09:40
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Wartime preserves without sugar...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2020, 18:42
by mumofstig
xx
Watermelon rind preserves

Started by Subversive_plot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2023, 10:44
by New shoot

Page created in 0.796 seconds with 36 queries.