starting out

• 3 Replies

darby

starting out
« on: August 10, 2009, 20:28 »
Ok....we have a broody hen amongst our 6,she is making things difficult for the other hens,preventing them access to coup etc,and she has to be removed by hand from nest box and try to get her to eat and drink something...anyway have been advised to remove her from other hens into an extension of the origional run, and introduce 3 day old chicks along with her. my question is this...do the chicks require a heat source in the new coup...and will broody hen adapt to 3 new chicks if she has not hatched them herself,we do not want to put them in any danger..any help would be greatful..thank you. Mark..

cochin

Re: starting out
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 21:55 »
Normally you won't have a problem introducing new chicks to a broody if you do it at nighttime, - the chicks won't need any extra warmth - mum does the electric blanket thing - the only thing is is how long has your broody been broody? I've often found it difficult to introduce little ones if the broody has only just gone broody, but you can only try, keep an eye on them - hope it works out for you

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 22:02 »
I would take the easy option and get 6 fertile eggs, we have never moved a broody out for food and water ours do it all by themselves they know when they need to eat and drink have a poo and dust bath and streach their legs.
I have heard of broodys whos eggs have not hatched people buy day old chicks and put under at night and remove the eggs. Some broodys take to them and some dont if the broody is ok with them she will keep them warm and safe.
what breed is your broody some here may have the same breed and be able to answer you better than me.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 22:17 »
The only problem with eggs is they can turn out to be MALE whereas you can get ready sexed chicks. :)

Ok if you can accomodate cocks as well as hens though but think ahead carefully. :unsure:

Rob 8)

xx
Just starting

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 09:55
by Viv
xx
just starting

Started by kev1986 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 07, 2010, 13:03
by evie2
xx
Just starting out

Started by kelbenjae on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 21:52
by babe
xx
Starting over ... Thanks Mr Fox :-(

Started by gingerplant on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 09:28
by gingerplant

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 35 queries.