Table top raised bed

• 1 Replies

hubballi

Table top raised bed
« on: April 12, 2009, 17:44 »
I have built (out of recycled pine wood from a futon  :D) a raised bed on 4 sturdy legs that will help keep the slugs at bay when I put something on them like copper. Now I have treated the wood with Linseed oil, I am not sure what materiel's to use  to make the bottom of the bed where the soil/compost will sit. I have had the idea to keep the weight down to batten across the base with wood and then staple chicken wire mesh or something similar with plastic sheeting over it for drainage. The depth is not quite 8" deep so the less deep rooted and slug vulnerable veg like salad, Broad beans would be best grown.

I also need to fill it when finished. Do I just add garden soil mixed with multi purpose and a bit of home made garden compost ?

Does this sound like the best way or has someone else built one better ?

Trillium

Re: Table top raised bed
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 23:22 »
I've seen something similar made and used by the Square Foot gardener, Mel Bartholomew. He used all potting mix with some compost to keep it light and fertile. Before each new crop, he added more compost and bonemeal. Not sure what he did with the base but plastic sheeting with some holes for drainage should work since the load above is light.

xx
Covering a table

Started by mattleys on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 22:52
by mattleys
xx
Building a Coldframe on a Table!!

Started by stompy on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 15:28
by stompy
xx
pond and water table advice

Started by casper on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 07:20
by cadalot
xx
Table top design for strawberries in planters

Started by Goosegirl on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2015, 16:46
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 35 queries.