Questions, questions, questions...

• 9 Replies

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
« on: February 20, 2007, 18:49 »
For instance...

Why are there 450 seeds in a packet of peas?  Are they low germination?   I've set 60 of them and if just 30 come up I'm sure that will be enough for us.

then to the next question... how long can you keep seeds for? Once you've opened the packet do they slowly deteriate (sp) or can you use them the next year if their kept in a tupperware type box.

Where can I get propagater seed lids for seed trays from?  Nowhere in my local town has them and having been dragged into the nearest city by my eldest son today (who took his driving test theory and passed by the way :) ) I did an hours long search on foot to no avail, everywhere has sold out.  

My propagater lid at the mo for the indoor on the windowsill peppers etc.  is an interesting piece of artwork made up of cling film..  needs must and all that.. :)

Just a few of the questions that bounced around my bonce today :)

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Re: Questions, questions, questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 19:03 »
Quote from: "mandycharlie"
Why are there 450 seeds in a packet of peas?  Are they low germination?   I've set 60 of them and if just 30 come up I'm sure that will be enough for us.

Thirty pea plants isn't very many - don't know how many people you're feeding there, but allowing for eating fresh all summer, freezing, nibbling on the allotment straight off the plant, losses to birds, mice, mildew and pea moth, 450 seeds isn't really so many!  

Sow a row every two weeks or so, and you'll get a continuous supply all summer.  We sowed about 30 feet of row over the course of last season (broadcast in a wide row, so used a lot of seeds), and we had fresh peas all summer, my three year old could help himself from the plant, and we're still eating them from frozen now, although we've only got a few bags left.

The more you pick, the more you get, but I'd say 30 plants would only produce enough for one dinner at any one time  :shock:

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 19:12 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"

Thirty pea plants isn't very many - don't know how many people you're feeding there, but allowing for eating fresh all summer, freezing, nibbling on the allotment straight off the plant, losses to birds, mice, mildew and pea moth, 450 seeds isn't really so many!  

Sow a row every two weeks or so, and you'll get a continuous supply all summer.  We sowed about 30 feet of row over the course of last season (broadcast in a wide row, so used a lot of seeds), and we had fresh peas all summer, my three year old could help himself from the plant, and we're still eating them from frozen now, although we've only got a few bags left.

The more you pick, the more you get, but I'd say 30 plants would only produce enough for one dinner at any one time  :shock:

thats why I like this place, you give me answers that can blow my mind... wow...

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
seeds
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 19:49 »
If you get 30 plants come up from 60 sown you've done pretty well in my opinion.  
Its not unusual to fail altogether with a row of peas. Either they dont come up, mice, cold ground etc. or they come up, get to about 1inch then fade away or are eaten of.  
the trick is to keep sowing fairly small amounts, eventually you'll catch the right conditions.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 20:01 »
Why are there 450 seeds in a packet of peas?

Because the seed companies are tight gits!

You cannot have too many peas. Eat them on the plot. Eat them while the dinner is cooking. Put them in the dinner then freeze the other 2.

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 21:26 »
for seed sowing if you havent got a propagator  . use a seed tray and 2 wire coat hangers and a dry cleaning bag , open the coat to just wire and bend to mak a hoop with two bends in to slip under the tray now slide the lnto  dry cleaning bag and hey presto . one propagator
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 21:31 »
For instance...

then to the next question... how long can you keep seeds for?

If you plant 60 you should get about 59 germinate at least EU specifies a minimum germination % per packet I think it may be about 90% ish if you sow etc correctly.

Seeds can last for years bank on about 7 years for tomatoes, but it all varies depending on storage conditions, variety of seed etc . personally I do little more than fold up the foil packets and keep them in a tin in the garage, works for me.

Sow all your peas if you have the room and if you can resist eating them all from the pod  :lol:  you can freeze them and have the surplus all year.  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 21:41 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
Why are there 450 seeds in a packet of peas?

Because the seed companies are tight gits!

You cannot have too many peas. Eat them on the plot. Eat them while the dinner is cooking. Put them in the dinner then freeze the other 2.

Absolutely! I'm buying mine at £2.99 a kilo from our local nursery this year. Try weighing a packet of 450 seed and then doing the math - you'd be horrified.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 21:45 »

Where can I get propagater seed lids for seed trays from?  Nowhere in my local town has them and having been dragged into the nearest city by my eldest son today (who took his driving test theory and passed by the way :) ) I did an hours long search on foot to no avail, everywhere has sold out.  

My propagater lid at the mo for the indoor on the windowsill peppers etc.  is an interesting piece of artwork made up of cling film..  needs must and all that.. :)

Just a few of the questions that bounced around my bonce today :)

If you buy meat from your supermarket, a lot of it comes in clear plastic tubs/trays that fit on or over a seed tray. Our B & Q sell them & no doubt Wilcos would.

And what's wrong with a Heath Robinson cover if it works?

Gwiz

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 05:20 »
i use a piece of glass cut to size.
take it off each day, and turn it over, to deal with the condensation.
if you are using a propergator with heat at the bottom, it can also help to cover the glass with a few sheets of paper to keep the heat in. but remember to remove the paper when the seeds start to come through the compost.

xx
2 questions...

Started by muddywellies on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post December 18, 2007, 21:51
by WG.
xx
Two Little Gem Questions

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 00:17
by compostqueen
xx
PEA QUESTIONS

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 22:11
by DD.
xx
A few questions

Started by Hodgey on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 07:53
by Hodgey

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 31 queries.