wellingtons

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 15:54 »
... it's called percussive maintenance ...  :lol:

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Beetroot
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 18:00 »
Quote from: "milkman"
This year I'm trying a variety called Barabietola di Chioggia which I'm hoping will end up pinky white stripy inside...

I'm trying this too, as well as Detroit 2.  I made the mistake of broadcast sowing last year, and ended up with tiny beets that were lovely, but a * to hoe....

Annie

Beetroot
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 19:09 »
I grew choggia and dug up the last one a few weeks ago,unlike the boltardy it had not been touched by slugs.It tasted very good but my brain couldn`t  deal with the colour which was a sort of straw colour with poorly defined pink stripes which I found off putting.Peeling was adelieght tho`,no stained hands.I will grow them again and try to retrainmy brain.

Trillium

Beetroot
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 19:15 »
Glad to read your comments, Annie. I'm growing pink chioggas myself for the first time this year and was curious about the results. Will try to keep my mind open about the colour as well. Wasn't as hard with yellow beets for some reason. Those are lovely cooked, cooled, sliced thin and mixed with red beets in a simple vinaigrette.  :)

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Beetroot
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 20:09 »
what depth do you need to sow beetroot in?

muntjac

Beetroot
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 20:12 »
half inch. they need about 6 inches of soil to get down into . :wink: 10 inch pot = 5 nice beets round the outside n one in the middle ,potting compost . and a light dilute liquid manure again will do the job  :wink:
still alive /............

jennyb

• My Blog
Beetroot
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007, 20:14 »
well i now have been permitted to use part of the front garden to grow in, by mum.  things is when weeding today i discovered that the drain from next door runs not too far belwo the surface......... but i'm thinking if i dig in enough compost into the area it will give a couple inches more depth to grow in!!

muntjac

Beetroot
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007, 20:16 »
sow a row then jenny  make it about 3 ft long n sow 20 seeds and then sow another 15 or so close to the first in parralel line  , sow another low about 3 weeks later  :wink:

jennyb

• My Blog
Beetroot
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2007, 20:20 »
shall give it a try - although i think i will be continuing to pull up that lily of the valley of a few weeks yet!!  actually i think i've got it all from that section,  and with ratty no longer inhabiting our compost (i think a combination of bait and the trap!) i will see how much compost i can add and see if i can get a decent depth to the bed.

Trillium

Beetroot
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2007, 23:20 »
Jennyb, if you've got lily of the valley there, make sure it's all out first because it's a real thug. I spent several weeks deeply digging out some the previous owner planted, which then ran wildly for over 20M in length and 1M in width. The roots tangled into everything and sucked the soil to dust.  It's worse than couch so dig and pick out every teeny root bit or the battle starts again all too soon.  Mine was so bad that I ended up sieving the soil. Talk about anal work!  :x

jennyb

• My Blog
Beetroot
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2007, 08:46 »
i was thinking of sieving the soil,  as there are lots of other little bits in there as well.

not sure how well it's going to work out planting there as mum reckons we shouldn't plant over the line of this drain.

ahh can but try i guess.

could still get a few beet in front of it tho i reckon

muntjac

Beetroot
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2007, 11:03 »
let the lily come up n    NUKE ITTTT

wellingtons

Well isn't this thread ...
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2007, 11:05 »
... a prime example of one man's treasure is another man's trash ... what I would give to be able to grow lily of the valley!!

Annie

Beetroot
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2007, 11:07 »
Just what I was thinking Wellies,it`s taken me years to get a little patch established but it refuses to spread.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Beetroot
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2007, 15:51 »
Everytime I try to get some Lilly of hte Valley going, it grows for ayear then dies!!!

xx
beetroot

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 01:17
by Paul Plots
xx
Beetroot

Started by lincspoacher on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 21:29
by digalotty
xx
Beetroot

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 15:05
by MoreWhisky
xx
Beetroot

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 20, 2022, 21:12
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 32 queries.