Epsom Salts

• 13 Replies

Trillium

Epsom Salts
« on: February 15, 2007, 04:57 »
From reading various topics, I see that a lot of lotty owners aren't familiar with the gardening benefits of Epsom Salts, so here goes. Technically, it's magnesium sulfate, the name you'll find it under at the farm supply shops or wherever you get bulk agric. supplies. For our science lotty owners, it's MgSO(little4).7H(little2)O - the K of NPK.   8)  It's also available at the chemists, where they charge about 10X the price the ag suppliers will. I buy it in 50 lb (22K) bag and it lasts quite a while. Not sure if this size is available in UK though. It isn't actually a salt (not a chloride sulfate), just named after someone and the fact that it looks like salt. In the garden, it makes plants grow bushier, produce more flowers and improves phosphorous and nitrogen uptake by roots. Unlike commercial fertilizer, you can never overuse it.  It's especially good for roses, peppers and tomato plants. Only plant that hates Epsoms is SAGE.

Here are the recipes - in imperial. Have to convert to metric yourself. Sorry.

Houseplants: 2 Tbsp Epsom to 1 gallon water, use once a month
Tomatoes: 1 Tbsp epsom per foot of plant height per plant - every 2 wks and scratch into soil or dissolve in some water.
Peppers: ditto
Roses: 1 Tbsp epsom per foot of plant height per plant every 2 weeks AND scratch 1/2 cup epsom into soil at plant base to encourage flowering canes and new basal growth. If moving/transplanting roses, soak roots in 1/2 cup epsom/gallon water to help roots recover. Add 1 Tbsp epsom to planting holes.
Use as a weak epsom solution for a weekly foliar spray on most plants to deter pests.
Shrubs, evergreens & rhodos: 1 Tbsp epsom per 9 square ft (3Msq) over root zone every 2-4 weeks.
The results aren't instant; be patient. And this isn't a fertilizer replacement, merely something that enhances fertilizer absorption and plant growth.

Epsom salts are also fab for the skin as a skin softener in the bath - about 1 - 2 cups depending on the size of your bath (or occupancy). It's also a fab detox as it's absorbed by the skin for purging, relaxing muscles and reducing swelling. Don't guarantee it as a hangover cure, however.
If you're on water restrictions and using bathwater as greywater, epsoms are perfectly safe, unlike bath oils, foam baths, etc.

Hope this helps.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Re: Epsom Salts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:31 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
For our science lotty owners, it's MgSO(little4).7H(little2)O - the K of NPK.  

Uh hu... the K of NPK stands for Potassium (Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium - look up the periodic table and these are the chemical symbols of these elements.)

It isn't actually a salt (not a chloride sulfate), just named after someone and the fact that it looks like salt.

Technically magnesium sulphate is a salt.  Granted the most common salts are chloride salts but there are others and sulphates are salts.  Correctly speaking a salt is the product of a reaction between an acid and a base.  Magnesium hydroxide and sulphuric acid would give magnesium sulphate (a salt) plus water.

:oops:  :oops: Sorry - science teacher and can't help myself!  :oops:  :oops:

Anyway the reciepe looks useful and as I am still learning in the gardening capacity I do appreciate the info.  :D

ps the americans/canadians spell sulphate as sulfate so both are generally regarded as correct.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Epsom Salts
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 07:52 »
salkeela you beat me to it. K is potassium in the NPK fertilisers, and it is a salt as its bonding between the magnesium cation and the sulphate anion is ionic.

I really hate the american spellings that are creeping into chemical names as a result of IUPAC naming. I will not stop using ph 'cos i can spell proper! :D  i wont start leavign the i's out either

:evil: chemistry student - sorry, couldnt resist either :roll:  :roll:

magnesium is an essential metal in the protein complexes of photosynthetic organisms (plants to you!) along with copper, sulphur is also a trace element used by plants, but as said its main benefit is to help make nutrients 'available' for uptake by the plants
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Epsom Salts
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 07:57 »
It isn't actually a salt (not a chloride sulfate

a combination thats unlikely anyway -

chloride  cl-
sulphate  SO4-

as we know, opposites atract - you can have a chloride of a metal (MgCl)
or a sulphate (MgSO4 for example) but im pretty sure a chloride sulphate is fairly thermodynamically unfavourable! :shock:  :D

here endeth the lesson :tongue2:

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Epsom Salts
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:01 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"

chloride  cl-
sulphate  SO4-

or a sulphate (MgSO4 for example) but im pretty sure a chloride sulphate is fairly thermodynamically unfavourable! :shock:  :D

here endeth the lesson :tongue2:

I think Trillium is abbreviating... as in "it's not a chloride rather it's a sulphate"

Personally I have no objection to the spelling of sulphate as sulfate - granted I have been trained using the former, but the latter is more logical really and much easier for students to learn.  And on the other side of the Atlantic it IS correct!

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Epsom Salts
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 08:04 »
bugga thread a bit technical for me :oops:
epsom salt can be used instead nutrient in wine making cheaper to

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Epsom Salts
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 08:09 »
Quote from: "flatcap"
bugga thread a bit technical for me :oops:
epsom salt can be used instead nutrient in wine making cheaper to

:lol:  

Apparently fed as a supplement to horses it also helps their feet to grow well.  And it's good for soaking an infected cut, abcess or what ever in!  :D

Trillium

Epsom Salts
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 15:47 »
What I was trying to get across with mentioning chloride is that a great many people do mistake epsoms as just another form of regular table salt, which we all know is death to gardens. And North Americans should know; it's heavily used with sand to 'sand' our icy/snowy roads in winter, leaving all lawn edges and border shrubs totally debilitated. So, the thought of using anything with the word salt in it is totally off putting to many gardeners.  Epsoms, however, are not in the chloride family and are safe to use, even in quantity. The formula I gave is actually hydrated magnesium sulfate, the name that's on the bag I buy - correct or not. Over here, if you go to a pharmacy (chemist) it's sold as epsom salts. At the farm supply, they know it only as magnesium (dare I repeat - sulfate). I wasn't trying to earn chemical 'brownie' points  :wink: , just trying to reach both sides of the chemistry fence.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I've been using it for years on my roses and you've never seen tougher, greener things that still bloom after several frosts. Only the really really hard one we get in Dec stops them for the winter.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Re: Epsom Salts
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 16:22 »
Quote from: "Salkeela"
:oops:  :oops: Sorry - science teacher and can't help myself!  :oops:  :oops:

Old habits die hard.... Your info was much appreciated.  :)

yummy

Epsom Salts
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 17:28 »
I did chemistry A level but can't remember any of that. I guess you lose what you don't use.

Structures and properties was my favourite bit though. It was all the maths stuff I didn't like cos everyone else in the class was also doing maths A level and therefore the chemistry teacher didn't repeat it... anyway I digress....

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Epsom Salts
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 17:43 »
I wasn't trying to earn chemical 'brownie' points

:lol:

dont worry, no ones having a go at you, your info was very informative,

you may have noticed were all a bit mad on here :D  :D  :D

mercury

Epsom Salts
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 17:57 »
Quote from: "Salkeela"
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"

chloride  cl-
sulphate  SO4-

here endeth the lesson :tongue2:[/quot
I think Trillium is abbreviating... as in "it's not a chloride rather it's a sulphate"

Personally I have no objection to the spelling of sulphate as sulfate - granted I have been trained using the former, but the latter is more logical really and much easier for students to learn.  And on the other side of the Atlantic it IS correct!

huh, :?  :?  :roll:

Trillium

Epsom Salts
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 18:03 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit you may have noticed were all a bit mad on here :D  :D  :D[/quote

You had me worried for a bit.   :shock:  I adore gardening, all aspects of it, veg and flower, and have almost 38 yrs of exprience come this April when I got OH to build me a planter box on our apartment balcony so I could grow roses and carrots. A bit optomistic on the rose though - it died over the winter from freezing in the raised box. But since then, I've learned a very lot and love to share with other gardeners who want to learn or have come across something unfamiliar.   8)

noshed

Epsom Salts
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 21:43 »
Thanks for the info Trillium. I was thinking of putting some round my vine last year. Will try it this spring
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Epsom Salts

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 14:34
by Eblana
xx
Epsom Salts

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 10:17
by barbarella
xx
Epsom salts

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2019, 13:57
by Aunt Sally
xx
epsom salts

Started by pete1977 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 18:34
by mclarkuk1

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 33 queries.