lime

• 3 Replies

lego

lime
« on: August 29, 2008, 21:17 »
We've tested the pH on our allotment and realised we need to apply lime. A couple of questions. When is the best time to apply it to veg beds?
Also, when should we apply it to the permanent beds where we have raspberries, gooseberries etc?

M0rph3u5

lime
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 00:00 »

paintedlady

lime
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 14:20 »
Before spreading lime everywhere, please check what fruit & vegetables you intend to grow as some prefer neutral (pH 7) to a bit on the acidic side soil conditions.  And liming too much can cause just as much problems as none at all.  The main veg group where liming is a very good thing are the brassicas.

You can apply lime any time of the year, but most people usually do it over the winter months so that it can get to work breaking down heavy clay deposits (called flocculation)  Do not mix manure and lime at the same time as a chemical reaction releases gasses which can scorch your plants.  I actually wait until late winter/early spring for my designated brassica beds, and even at time of planting will add even more lime. :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

gobs

lime
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:43 »
What reading did you get and how many did you take?

Home ph testers aren't too accurate, electric ones said to be less so. I just read someone's tap water testing pure acid. :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So, I'd rather have a look around  and see what's being grown.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Garden Lime vs Builders' Lime

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 12:13
by Swing Swang
xx
lime again

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 20:26
by mumofstig
xx
lime

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2012, 11:29
by pauly58
xx
lime

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2016, 18:23
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.