Potato blight

• 8 Replies

Christine

Potato blight
« on: July 31, 2008, 15:42 »
Yes it has been ideal blight weather where I live. And OK - have spotted it in one of my tubs on the allotment (so presume the three tubs next to it are likely infected). Yes, yes I know about haulm disposal, rotten spud disposal, harvesting, storage and all that.

But on to the compost in the tubs - do I keep it to one side as I have this idea from somewhere that the virus can stay in the soil for some time/years.

And will Jeyes Fluid do the trick for making the tubs fairly free (mind you I can stack to one side and use for a different crop next year no problem).

I just can't lay hands on information about how long you should leave soil that has been home to infected spuds free of the same crop.

Will someone please enlighten me. Tell me I'm wrong, inform me of the correct way to go.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Potato blight
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 15:55 »
Are you absolutely sure it's blight? (I'm not saying it isn't). There is not much reported in your area, the nearest being as far away as Scotch Corner.

Blight Map
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Christine

Potato blight
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 16:19 »
Well the leaves show the first signs as per all the pictures in the book and one of the spuds in the tub that I emptied this afternoon was totally rotten and another one on the way ....

The map hasn't been updated for some time I might say because I consulted it last month.

Can't see anything else that looks the same in the way of disease. Most of the tatties in tub were fine and just as you would expect a King Edward (young) to be.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Potato blight
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 16:24 »
Quote from: "Christine"

But on to the compost in the tubs - do I keep it to one side as I have this idea from somewhere that the virus can stay in the soil for some time/years.

Not a virus at all it's a fungus called Phytophthora infestans

Christine

Potato blight
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 16:31 »
Question though - does it hang around in the soil or have I got my information wrong?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Potato blight
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 17:11 »
Your rotten spud could just be the original seed potato if the others are OK  - they do this, if the leaves are yellowing the plant could simply be maturing.

I beg to differ about the date of the map, as it shows an outbreak in Dundee 2 days ago.

Christine

Potato blight
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 17:18 »
:oops: wrong about map - sorry  :oops:

That's an interesting one on the original spud. Tis my first try at spuds and there are none of the family to ask.

Tis a shame when you grow up and then find that you are the elder of the family without the other show gardeners and allotment holders to ask.   :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
Potato blight
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 17:19 »
Quote from: "Christine"

Tis a shame when you grow up and then find that you are the elder of the family without the other show gardeners and allotment holders to ask.   :(

Ah, but you're going to become the one all the others will look to!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Potato blight
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 21:56 »
I still miss my Dad when I'm in the garden, his allotments were the only 2 right next to our house as we had a pylon there, so they couldn't build a house, and there wasn't anything he didn't know about gardening!  But he's been gone these past 38 years now, and me and my brother and a couple of cousins are th family elders now!!!!!   SCARY!!!

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Potato Blight Q

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 22:51
by gobs
xx
potato blight

Started by ian000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 19:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
Is this potato blight ?

Started by IvanAllotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 16:57
by DD.

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 34 queries.