Poly-house ??

• 12 Replies

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
Poly-house ??
« on: April 07, 2008, 13:27 »
Well
I gave up with the glass in my greenhouse being broken by wind and the neighbours kids and this morning I have turned it  into a poly house :lol: .
Its a complete bodge job :wink:  but it works pics are to follow and no it's not quite finished I ran out of tape :roll: , so off to take some pics and then into town for more tape.
The poly I am using are huge thick clear plastic bags, my fil is a trucker so gets rolls of them on a regular basis.
Let me know what you think.

Also in pic bodge job of a bird Table
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

noshed

Poly-house ??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 14:19 »
That looks grand. What tape did you use? I used gaffer tape and it didn't last long. I'm looking for some proper polythene mending tape at the moment.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
Poly-house ??
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 14:39 »
The green tape is duck for garden, on offer in wilkos at mo £2.99 instead of £4.99.  Have also used clear thick tape from wilkos 99p a roll which seems really good, but I guess Time will tell.
Can you tell I havent got out of the house yet :oops:

dereklane

• Experienced Member
Poly-house ??
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 15:17 »
I have 2 'greenhouses' made of poly, salvaged in the main from furniture shop plastic, and they've lasted through some fairly strong winds, and protected my calabrese the whole winter.

Temps inside have (in north Derbyshire) reached 16 C so far this year, so I think they'll do the job for summer. The good thing about plastic is if the wind gets too much, it tears at a weak point, which equalises the pressure almost immediately, and then you can stick it back down when the wind eases (usually only a small square opens on mine).

I have a wood frame, which I stapled the sheet to, then battened over the top with more 2 x 1s. Seems to hold it down well.

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
Poly-house ??
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 13:36 »
And the finished product.

Ok I know I need to baton down the bottom, but have ran out of money and cant find any wood :roll:
Have now bubble wrapped the inside as well and started off some seeds.

Mamooska

Poly-house ??
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:28 »
Hi  :D

I'm just about to embark on my first allotment and want to keep things as simple as possible!

I'm thinking about creating a Teepee using poly' as the covering (so it acts as a shelter and a place to protect plants.

In your experience do you think that this is a viable idea - any feedback gratefully recieved!  :lol:
Forever happy playing in the mud!

noshed

Poly-house ??
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 23:03 »
It will probably be OK if you can anchor it down well. Poly sheets act like sails in the wind. I built (well my friend built) a big wooden frame and I covered it with corrogated sheeting and poly I got from a mattress delivery.
It blew across the plot but now it is anchored to the fence.
It has been great - problems of ventilation are dealt with by the holey bits but it is just the job for bringing things on.
Have go - see what everyone else is doing on your site.
Good luck

compostqueen

Poly-house ??
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 00:13 »
looks fab I reckon and it'll last a good while I bet. Well done you for your resourcefulness  :D  You could stand some potted toms along the edge at the bottom either side the door, to weigh it down a bit

muntjac

Poly-house ??
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:06 »
Quote from: "freyaluck"
And the finished product.

Ok I know I need to baton down the bottom, but have ran out of money and cant find any wood :roll:
Have now bubble wrapped the inside as well and started off some seeds.

use soil around it  :wink:
still alive /............

Mamooska

Poly-house ??
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:25 »
Thanks Noshed  :D

The other shelters are more shed like in appearance and I doubt if I will be able to get hold of materials like that.

I am setting myself a challenge that anything I do on the allotment must be made by recycling other 'stuff'.

If the teepee works I'll let everyone know!

robbobnbill

Poly-house ??
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 20:48 »
Is the poly still attached after all this time?

As i have a frame i need to cover and want to know if this is a good way of doing it, my plot is quite windy!!!
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice"  - Bill Cosby

upert

• Experienced Member
Poly-house ??
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 21:49 »
i'm just about to put up a greenhouse with 9 foot long sheets of polycarbonate over a wooden frame. i'm going to sink it into the ground and anchor the wooden supports with fence spikes. it's a very open and windy site though so i might need something more.

robbobnbill

Poly-house ??
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 22:17 »
I have a couple of those aluminium frame greenhouses without the covers, maybe sinking the poly into the ground would work for this, i just wonder how id cover the front and back as they have an apex, the sides would probably be fine tho.

let me know how you get on upert  :)

xx
poly v greenhouse

Started by bailey on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 21:33
by mumofstig
xx
Poly tunnels

Started by bubbles20 on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 20:29
by bubbles20
xx
Poly-tunnel

Started by Rangerkris on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 08:02
by arugula
xx
building a poly tunnel or to buy one ?

Started by David cotton on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 18:57
by David cotton

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 35 queries.