Pancake recipe

• 6 Replies

greenie

Pancake recipe
« on: November 12, 2006, 23:20 »
Anyone with a tried and true pancake recipe? I have been trying for years to make good pancakes and they just elude me  I am feeling for blueberry pancakes just about now.

muntjac

Pancake recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:43 »
plain flour, 2  eggs , salt , full fat milk ,
put cup flour in bowl add 1 whole egg and 1 white only . pour very cold milk in slowly until you have the consistency of salad cream  ( pouring)  .add a table spoon cold water  add salt , the salt breaks down the albumen in the eggs so is a neccasry part  even in sweet pancakes , mix . mix..... mix...... put  flat griddle pan ( no sides )  on heat let it get hot pour pudding spoon of oil on pan swill round pour ladle of mix onto pan slowly tipping the pan from side to side so it flows around the pan to the edges . put on heat . watch for first sign of cake breathing  ( it lifts in centre .use spatula to turn over . you can then see the cooked side and make allowances for how long you need to replace on heat ,, works everytime for me ,,hope that helps xregs karl
still alive /............

James

• Experienced Member
Pancake recipe
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 22:27 »
My mother always uses Philip Harbern's recipe.  Very easy to remember:

Take Eggs, Flour & Milk in alphabetical order, plus  pinch of salt.

Quantity 1 (egg), 3 (oz Flour) & 5 (fl oz milk) - the first three odd numbers - added to your earlier alphabetical order.

Put flour in bowl, make a well, add egg, whisk, add milk - slowly so as not to lump & leave to stand.  You can add more milk if you wish to stretch it a bit.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Pancake recipe
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 01:06 »
Do you mean a good american-style pancake recipe? I have a buttermilk pancake recipe that I substitute yoghurt in with no problems.
That's what I think of when someone says blueberry pancakes to me anyway  :?
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

greenie

Pancake recipe
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 16:43 »
Yes Heather, that's what I am after. I tried a blueberry pancake recipe from a recipe website but again they didn't taste like what I wanted. If you have a good one, would love to try it. I had the most delicious pancakes in a cafe in the US a few years ago and wish I had asked to go into the kitchen!

Thanks too Muntjac and James, will try your recipes out as a basic one. My pancakes always taste too much of 'egg' or with an 'edge' hard to describe.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Pancake recipe
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 23:40 »
My family's pancake recipe

Notes: US buttermilk is pourable, UK buttermilk is not so much. Usually I mix in some milk either before measuring out the buttermilk, or in the cup itself or adding in milk after it's been mixed a little.

In a large bowl, mix:
2 cups plain flour (about 250g)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
2 teaspoons baking powder

In a smaller bowl, combine:
1 whole egg
1 egg white (or you can add another whole egg if you don't mind being unhealthy)
2 tablespoons sugar (granulated/plain, whatever)
2 cups buttermilk, generally can be subsituted with nonfat/verylowfat yoghurt if you can't find buttermilk. For some reason they seem to always put buttermilk next to the cream pots in my local supermarket.

Add the liquids to the dry ingredients, mix lightly - the batter will be lumpy (do not beat smooth) and thick.
Heat a pan over medium heat (I use a tefal nonstick frying pan), pour in about half a cup of batter per pancake. For blueberry pancakes, place a few blueberries on top of the batter immediately. Flip pancake when the bubbles that come up to the surface stay there. Brown other side and serve immediately. Be careful about eating the hot blueberries!! They explode in your mouth and can be much hotter than the pancakes themselves.

I'm not sure how much the above makes. I normally do a half recipe for just hubby and I using just 1 whole egg. I've also put a few blackberries/brambles on the pancakes in a similar way as an interesting variation (bit too seedy if you use too many blackberries though).

greenie

Pancake recipe
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 20:35 »
Thanks Heather. I tried your recipe today.

Still no luck for me - it must just be me  :oops:

I'll give it another go soon.

xx
homemade pancake mix

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 21:18
by chrissie B
xx
Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day

Started by arugula on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

36 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 09:58
by tosca100
xx
Dont forget to make your Pancake batter!

Started by MidlandBrewer on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2017, 21:33
by Tenhens
xx
looking for a recipe I used to have

Started by starry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 20:32
by cob nut

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 34 queries.