cauliflowers

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

cauliflowers
« on: August 09, 2023, 09:49 »
we planted our summer caulis in a raised bed the seed was started of in modules potted on then transplanted in a raised bed they where looking good growing well a good frame but no cauliflowers ? and if they did appear they where only as big as golf balls not worth the effort one mite say

yet we where watching Beachgrove garden program the other day  and George Anderson one of the presenters cut a lovely cauliflower I think the variety was Zaragoza  a cub resistant variety but they looked perfect really put ours to shame so I ask myself where did I go wrong because  the winter sown varieties usually turn out ok having said that the frost killed all our winter cauliflower plants due to be planted out come spring

so try as one must I'm going to so try sowing cauliflowers to overwinter again  and also give George's Zaragoza variety a go come spring but  any advise some of you who grow cauliflowers mite have would be most appreciated you never know I mite actually grow some summer cauliflowers with your help :D

jaydig

Re: cauliflowers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 16:50 »
It would be worth giving Zaragoza a try.  I've grown them on the allotment before now and they've produced a very good quality crop.   As with anything though it depends on the soil and the weather involved. The soil on my plot was quite heavy and had plenty of manure dug into it if that's any help.  Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about the weather.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 15:10 »
What spacing do you use? Most need about 2ft I think and they are hungry plants too

I grow igloo early in the year, can be grown large if given enough space or this year I grew them just 30cm apart for mini cauliflowers. They were bred for that purpose think. I sow them end of february in modules, plant out end of march/start april, cover with fleece then netting and harvest june/July. I don't grow overwintering ones.  They'll go in a bed that will have had compost spread during the winter. Also I grow autumn romanesco, its too late to try that this year though. Can recommend, they look great

Almost 8lb one from last year and smaller one this year

IMG_20210806_083341238.jpg
IMG_20210804_110143134.jpg
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 15:14 by Snow »

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 09:14 »
thanks to both of you for your replies that are duly noted also I like the idea of a mini cauli some thing worth a try next season as well as zaragoza seed  also I thought about planting  the cauli plant in some breathable plastic sheeting to both keep the weds down and maybe it mite keep the soil from drying out to quick ?

xx
Cauliflowers

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 20:51
by Jay Dubya
xx
I need help with cauliflowers.

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 21:09
by gobs
xx
Cauliflowers!

Started by Coach on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 19:58
by Chappers
xx
Cauliflowers that can take sun

Started by connie77 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 09, 2014, 19:07
by Totty

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 37 queries.