GG's roses.

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

GG's roses.
« on: July 01, 2021, 13:32 »
Thought you might like to see some pics of my new roses we planted earlier this year. They are Emily Bronte and the pink one is Gertrude Jekyll. All smell lovely and seemed to be doing well except for our hedge of Eustacia Vye which we planted earlier this year which were looking good until I noticed that many of the newer leaves were curling down on themselves and I don't know why (see pic 1). We did have a lawn firm round to put a weed killer spray on it. I've used them many times before with no problem and and I told him to be very careful which he said he would be. The problem isn't just restricted to the stems nearest the lawn and I also giggled images of roses with weed killer damage but the leaves are all curling upwards and not down. The begonia plants between the roses are fine.
Eustacia Vye (600 x 450).jpg
Gertrude Jekyll 1 (600 x 450).jpg
Gertrude Jekyll 2 (600 x 450).jpg
Emily Bronte (600 x 450).jpg
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 13:34 by Goosegirl »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: GG's roses.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 11:26 »
Hi, I don't think number 1 rose looks particularly serious.    Gertrude is a lovely rose, I used to have one and the scent was glorious.  Is she growing in that tub, or is she planted behind ?   I have never thought about planting one in a pot.    Your garden looks very pretty especially as you haven't been there all that long. :)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 14:50 »
Thanks MB. I have three roses planted in pots. Gertrude is in a big oak barrel and the other two are in a big black plastic tub.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 15:45 »
Enough said,  Have to buy a barrel and Gertrude now.    Will multi purpose do for planting, with a bit of compost mixed in.  ?     Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 07:14 »
Your Gertrude has a beautiful bloom, and I think we have one here, but aren't sure...

Mrs Growster was always given roses by mums when their children moved on to junior school from kindergarten, so we have all our roses called Charlotte or William for some reason!

I want to move our Gertrude as it's been in a pot for ages, and really needs a new position! Will a place near a low wall, but North-facing be OK? It's a very sunny spot, but sheltered from the South.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 16:51 »
We got some really good oak half barrels (via looking online at Etsy) from the Crafty Barrel Company based in Scotland that were previously used for maturing various falling-down waters. They're a jolly good price, postage is free, and are big enough to accommodate a rose in the middle plus some annuals on the outside. All we did was to drill some drainage holes in the bottom then filled them up with a mix of Grade A topsoil which we got from a firm called Logs Direct (logsdirect.co.uk) mixed with some mushroom compost obtained from the same place. We got them delivered in those big builder's bags at £60 a bag but think if we give them the bags back then it's just £50. We're training our Gertrude as a short climbing shrub along with some clematis on either side. The pic called "potted rose" is a spare Eustacia Vye shrub rose we got from David Austin when we were deciding which rose we wanted to make a rose hedge along our back wall which is in a sturdy black plastic tub . It was heeled in around autumn time then planted up in spring so this is in its second year of growth. TBH, although it may cost a bit more to begin with, it's worth it as you get better results in the long run.
Shrub rose (450 x 600).jpg
Potted rose. (503 x 600).jpg
Gertrude Jekyll 1 (600 x 450).jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 17:41 »
I want to move our Gertrude as it's been in a pot for ages, and really needs a new position! Will a place near a low wall, but North-facing be OK? It's a very sunny spot, but sheltered from the South.
DA says it will grow almost anywhere, according to their website  :D
North, East, South, West Facing
https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/products/gertrude-jekyll

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 12:40 »
Thanks GG.   I am going to spend the afternoon, looking at crafty barrels and logs.   :D  Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 06:33 »
DA says it will grow almost anywhere, according to their website  :D
North, East, South, West Facing
https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/products/gertrude-jekyll

Thanks Mum, it'll go in soon!

I'll call it after you...;0)

xx
What would you do with these roses?

Started by Carrotcake on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:17
by Goosegirl
xx
Roses

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 19:10
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Roses

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2006, 19:38
by becky
clip
Roses

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 20:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 44 queries.