Starting my first allotment

• 6 Replies

Emma Roberts

Starting my first allotment
« on: June 01, 2021, 12:46 »
Hello,

On Friday I was given a plot at our local allotments. I only put my name on the waiting list in March and with a 13 people infront of me I didn't think I'd get one for a few years. 

I've never been much of a gardener until last year when the lockdowns gave me time to try and we've since moved to a new house with a house with gorgeous gardens which I love.

The plot I have isn't in too bad shape apart from thick hedges of nettles around the edges, there is one bed half filled with  rhubarb and half with nettles from the previous owner but the rest is lawn.

Since Friday I have removed a lot of nettles (the less said about the roots the better!) Cleared the overgrown part of the rhubarb plot, created a pea trellis and planted some.sugar snap peas and cucumbers (plants from the garden centre just so I can hopefully harvest something this year!)

I've made a big bed to try to grow some pumpkins and squash for autumn.

I've also planted some spinach and radish seeds, mainly to see if they will grow.

Some of the rhubarb was ripe so that's been made into cake and compote

I know it's a bit late in the season to start growing but is there anything anyone would suggest I plant now to harvest in autumn or winter? I think most of the work this year will be in preparation for next year but any tips would be appreciated

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Starting my first allotment
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 13:05 »
Welcome to the forum, it sounds as if you have made a good start on your plot :)

It's still not too late to start runner and French beans from seed, also cabbage if you like them. You'll probably be able to get seedlings/plug-plants of a lot of different veg from a local garden centre  (or online) so you can fill as much ground as you get cleared  :)

Emma Roberts

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 16:21 »
Welcome to the forum, it sounds as if you have made a good start on your plot :)

It's still not too late to start runner and French beans from seed, also cabbage if you like them. You'll probably be able to get seedlings/plug-plants of a lot of different veg from a local garden centre  (or online) so you can fill as much ground as you get cleared  :)

Hello and thank you for the advice.  I might have to give beans and cabbages a try. Would the beans be okay sharing a trellis with the peas or should I keep them separate?

I'm creating a wish list of what I want to grow and planning them on the calendar for next year,  I think this year will just be a test or and hope got the best approach!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 18:11 »
The beans would need their own trellis or wigwam, as they make quite  thick growth, twining up the poles.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 20:10 »
Hello & welcome  :)

lettice

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 09:25 »
Runner and french beans would be a good crop that can be sown straight in the ground now.
Just create a small wigwam for them to grow up.
But plug plants will be fine.

As well as Spinach that you mentioned, also try Kale and swiss chard that are nice easy crops to get going and will produce for Summer/Autumn and Winter.

Many garden centres are selling off their tomato plants now, may be an idea. There is nothing that even comes close to a homegrown tomato.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 21:02 »
Welcome to the forum  :D

If you pop your general location into your forum profile, it'll make it easier to provide advice if climate is relevant to any topic  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Heey, just starting with my first allotment

Started by evatheoh on Welcome to the Forums

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2017, 17:27
by ApprenticeGardener82
xx
New Allotment

Started by CatherineR on Welcome to the Forums

10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2018, 04:03
by Mophair
question
Just got an allotment!

Started by Dan82 on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2020, 09:43
by Yorkie
xx
My first allotment and hello!

Started by Mudhoney on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2019, 10:11
by Amylowson

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 40 queries.