2kw Greenhouse heater on the way but.....

• 6 Replies

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
2kw Greenhouse heater on the way but.....
« on: January 21, 2021, 17:06 »
......where to mount it?

In my search for a suitable heater I have seen many pictures where people have suspended them on chains in their greenhouses? Surely if heat rises and if you have an auto window opener too are these not going to fight against each other and the floor of the greenhouse will never be as warm, or am I over thinking it?

AndyRVTR

Re: 2kw Greenhouse heater on the way but.....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 17:45 »
Pop it on the floor, heat rises!

jezza

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 15:29 »
Hello if it's the tube type it can be mounted on the side walk of the green house,if it's like a space heater free stand it in the middle of the floor near the door so that any draughts are warmed as they come in and rise up,last green house heater I used was 6feet long 30 inch wide,500,000 btu hung from the greenhouse roof and drank  250 gallons of 32 second burning oil in 10 hours   when it had a tantrum    jezza

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 23:01 »
last green house heater I used was 6feet long 30 inch wide,500,000 btu hung from the greenhouse roof and drank  250 gallons of 32 second burning oil in 10 hours   when it had a tantrum    jezza

Thats a little bigger than mine lol. It's an electric fan one, seems to be working well so far, have sectioned off part of the greenhouse for now with extra bubble wrap so conserving some energy by warming up only the space needed for now. And yep, put it on the floor.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 15:37 »
last green house heater I used was 6feet long 30 inch wide,500,000 btu hung from the greenhouse roof and drank  250 gallons of 32 second burning oil in 10 hours   when it had a tantrum    jezza

Thats a little bigger than mine lol. It's an electric fan one, seems to be working well so far, have sectioned off part of the greenhouse for now with extra bubble wrap so conserving some energy by warming up only the space needed for now. And yep, put it on the floor.

Wow, thats a hefty Kw/hour usage Paul  :(, how many hours a day does that run, my reckoning it costs about 30p an hour, surely not very cost effective if running for many hours a day? Just interested to know, because I now have electric in my GH, and am just using low wattage heat mats at the moment to start seeds.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 17:10 »

Wow, thats a hefty Kw/hour usage Paul  :(, how many hours a day does that run, my reckoning it costs about 30p an hour, surely not very cost effective if running for many hours a day? Just interested to know, because I now have electric in my GH, and am just using low wattage heat mats at the moment to start seeds.

Do you mean Jezza? Im only running a 2kw on a thermostat

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 16:41 »
Hi Paul
Just thought even at 2Kw, it seems a little expensive (30p an hour), but with the thermostat wasn't sure how many hours it was actually using electric. Say it was on a total of 8 hours a day, that would be over £60.00 a month, which I thought wouldn't be very cost effective in regards to the benefit you are getting from it. But as I said, I don't know effective the heat retention is in your GH. Just me being a meanie maybe ? :D

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 44 queries.