Snipped corn silks!

• 0 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Snipped corn silks!
« on: August 11, 2020, 14:08 »
Good sweaty afternoon everyone,  while inspecting my crop of sweetcorn I noticed one cob (on the edge of the group) had had its silks neatly cut off down to the enclosing leaves.  No other cobs had this problem.  I haven't removed the cob yet for intimate inspection

I researched and the only reference I could find was in a paper from the States.

Silk clipping insects like the corn rootworm beetle and the Japanese beetle feed on the green silks of corn plants andare most active during the plant's flowering stage. Damage from these insects can cause reduced kernel set and yield ifsignificant silk clipping occurs during the critical pollination period.

Silk Clipping Insects  Japanese beetles pose the greatest potential for silk damage in the eastern and central portions of Kentucky, while cornrootworm beetles are the most common silk feeders in the western part of the state.

Japanese BeetlesThe Japanese beetle was accidentally introduced into the United States about 1912. It has gradually spread westwardand now is established in the eastern half of Kentucky. This westward spread across the state is expected to continue.Adults have a metallic green body and coppery brown wing covers. A row of five white spots can be seen along eachside of the body and a pair of spots on the top of the last segment. The beetles are about 3/8 inch long and 1/4 inch wide.

Has anyone else seen this damage?  I tend to think it is a native insect or other beastie.

Your thoughts please.  Cheers,  Tony. ???
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:49 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
corn

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 08:26
by Ma Lowe
xx
corn on the cob

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 06:45
by green fingers
xx
When to sow corn?

Started by min200 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 14:14
by min200

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 34 queries.