Severe pruning of conifers

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

Severe pruning of conifers
« on: July 17, 2020, 17:12 »
I've just moved into a new home and there's this "rockery that was" which is overgrown with some conifers. Should I give them a severe pruning to reveal what's beneath (such as a small conifer and a lovely Pinus glaucous) and maybe other submerged treasures? 
Rockery 1.jpg
Rockery 2.jpg
Rockery 3.jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Severe pruning of conifers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 18:22 »
Conifers don't respond well to pruning into old wood, so you couldn't really remove much, a gentle trim a best..

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 06:07 »
Mum's right, but as you say, there may be some treasures lurking underneath...

We have the same problem, although self-inflicted, in that we need to chop some conifers back, as there's a lovey fuscia, dying to get out!

Pruning from the bottom, tight against the ground would make for a lot of brown to start with, but at least there would be some space, and you may just find something you could encourage! We've found that the brown stems/branches usually cover up, and disguise their bare legs..:0~

(Growster, that's enough...).

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 15:23 »
Right, a jolly good trim it is. If they don't produce new growth then they'll get dug up.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 15:47 »
As others have suggested a gentle trim is about all you could do.  Conifer rockeries were a real 1980's fashion, but of course now they have all grown  in the ensuing years.  It is a shame I rather like them.
Perhaps, you could consider removing the ones at the front, then you could plant something there and it might hide where you trim the back ones.   I bet you find lots of lovely rockery stones  :)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 06:20 »
Hello a gentle trim with a chainsaw what fun that would   jezza

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 08:51 »
If you love conifers I would just give them a gentle trim, but if you would like a more varied display then personally I would give them a severe haircut as they would appear to have outgrown their allotted space.  If they grow back into smaller, less overpowering shrubs - great, if not, as you say you can always dig them out and replace them with something more inspiring.
You can no doubt tell that I'm not a conifer lover, but my husband thinks they are wonderful.  Each to his own taste, and it's your garden now, so make it what you want it to be.
Good luck, and happy gardening.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 13:12 »
Thanks. Not all conifers labelled as dwarf are actually real dwarfs, so I'll get my little gardener to give them a good lop and see what happens. I'd like a rockery there as it's an ideal spot but the stones I can see are not the nicest to say the least and need to be replaced.

jezza

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 19:02 »
Hello be careful cutting back conifers I was helping  an old man trim horizontal conifers on what we thought was a rockery he was stood on a branch sawed through it and went up to his neck in water there was a 30 foot×10 foot fish pond under the conifers, jezza

xx
conifers

Started by samuria on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2023, 11:09
by samuria
xx
Conifers need removing

Started by Mum2mj on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post October 27, 2014, 12:41
by Goosegirl
xx
growing under conifers

Started by mrscucumber on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 20:41
by sion01
xx
Why are my Conifers Turning Brown

Started by nwalch on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 11:05
by Sideshoot

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 44 queries.