Elephant garlic question

• 3 Replies

Middle Eastern Gardener

Elephant garlic question
« on: June 13, 2020, 12:53 »
Hello,

Today I lifted our first attempt at Elephant garlic with mixed feelings.  I thought it would be bigger and with more cloves on them, they each seem to have three.  They are larger than regular garlic though.  My question though is, each bulb seems to have nodes on the bottom of it.  I hope the picture attached gives a good view.  Any ideas what these nodes are and what if any purpose they serve.  Or, had I left them in the ground longer, would they also have become cloves?  I’m really hoping someone has a pearl or two of wisdom for me.

Many thanks in advance
2AC71F57-F820-4D2F-96D5-9F24D19145A4.jpeg

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Elephant garlic question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 12:59 »
Don't grow elephant garlic myself, but here's a very recent thread on the subject:

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=132653.msg1535120#msg1535120
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 07:08 »
One important think to note, that is often overlooked by first time growers of Elephant Garlic, is that it is not true garlic. It has a very mild flavour and is a closer relative of the leek than garlic. I grew it once, then stuck to leeks.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Middle Eastern Gardener

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 09:39 »
One important think to note, that is often overlooked by first time growers of Elephant Garlic, is that it is not true garlic. It has a very mild flavour and is a closer relative of the leek than garlic. I grew it once, then stuck to leeks.

Thank you, I knew about the leek relationship but wanted to have a go anyway.  Depending on how we use it now will decide if we grow again.

xx
Elephant Garlic question

Started by emmalm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 19:34
by nobby
xx
Another Elephant garlic question

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 31, 2021, 10:27
by cc
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 00:45
by Jamrock

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 36 queries.