Advice on how to grow tomatoes in growbags

• 10 Replies

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
Advice on how to grow tomatoes in growbags
« on: May 14, 2020, 18:58 »
I watched a Youtube video on how to grow tomatoes in growbags. The chap in the video (no spring chicken and seemed very experienced) cut off the bottom of the pots containing the tomato plants and snuggled them into the grow bag.
My pots were much too robust to cut the whole bottom off, so I cut out them out underneath where the drainage holes were and planted them into the growbags in the greenhouse two days ago.
My husband is concerned that the roots won't be able to spread down and out into the growbag effectively. I just don't know enough about how tomatoes thrive and grow to know who's right!
If I've made a mistake, I need to rectify it very soon before the plants get established.
Advice please! Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice on how to grow tomatoes in growbags
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 19:56 »
So how big is/are the hole(s) in the bottom?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 20:27 »
I can't give you actual measurements. The pots are quite sizeable and I cut as much out of the bottoms as possible. I've added a photo - don't know if that helps.
IMG_2453-1.jpg

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 20:44 »
Good question, Yorkie!

I'd reckon that you'll be fine as they are now, Vagabond, they look pretty robust plants and very healthy too, and, in fact, a mature tom root ball isn't much bigger than the pots you're using, so they'll get whatever feed and moisture they need somehow or other, as long as there's a reasonable chance of the bottom being chopped away enough, which you seem to have done just fine!

If you water the actual compost around the pots as well, the roots will get out and about, don't worry, and you may find that next year, you'll have some nice composty stuff left, without all those dead old roots hanging around..;0)

Don't disturb them now, they look happy enough as they are!

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 10:12 »
Thanks Growster,
My husband is still not convinced as he doubts whether I cut enough out of the bottoms (not that he actually saw them!) but I'm going to hold my nerve and leave them alone. I'll be sure to only water the bags and not the pots to encourage the roots to spread down into the bags.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 14:06 »
You can water the pots as well, just don't flood them, as the top roots react differently to the bottom roots, and nobody ever remembers which ways it is, either the feeding roots or the drinking roots, so I just chuck some dilute Tomorite everywhere...:0)

No doubt the argument will be settled within a few seconds of anyone reading this..:0)

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 15:35 »
Actually I did end up watering the pots today because they felt bone dry and I'm not sure there are enough roots reaching the growbag YET(!) to draw the water up into the plants. I only planted them into the bags on Tuesday.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 19:34 »
Actually I did end up watering the pots today because they felt bone dry and I'm not sure there are enough roots reaching the growbag YET(!) to draw the water up into the plants. I only planted them into the bags on Tuesday.

They're not going to give up easily, so just water them when you think they need some, and leave them if they don't!

Just a thought, but does your growbag have small drainage holes in the sides, about an inch up from the bottom?

It's helpful to have these just to let excess water out if they get too much! If the haven't, you'll want to make them by shoving a knife in the sides, low down, just a short stab to break the plastic, and that'll do the job! You'll then have some sort or reservoir if they get really hot and dry, as some water will have collected right at the bottom, ready to be taken up as necessary!

Toms are pretty good at telling you when they need a drink (aren't we all..:0), so never fear, you'll know when they have to be watered and then feeding can start when the first truss has set with tiny green toms the size of a pea, under the flowers.

Don't forget to pinch out the tiny side-shoots if you want to grow them as a cordon (just one big stem), and as they're inside, you may be able to get to six trusses, but five may be ample, and especially if the summer gets shortened for any reason. Five trusses are the norm for outside anyway, and I sometimes just do four if the plant looks a bit tired - 'know the feeling'..;0)

Keep going, they look just fine to me!

jezza

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 22:42 »
Hello my mother's grown tomatoes by this method for years it's called ring culture she uses bottom less 12inch  pots ( Morrison's flower buckets) pushed into the grow  bags and feeds into the compost in the pot   jezza

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 11:28 »
Thanks so much for all your replies.
I did punch little drainage holes in the bottom of the bags, but I'll add some to the sides as well to reduce the risk of over watering. The youtube advisers all bang on about keeping the growbags 'well watered', but it's hard to judge the difference between 'well watered' and 'over watered'. I'll ease up on the watering now (I've been doing it daily) and keep an eye on them since you say that they're pretty good at showing when they need watering.
Also taking your other tips on board.
Really appreciate the time people take on this forum to generously share their knowledge.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 14:47 »
You'll be just fine, Vagabond - just wait until everyone starts banging on about courgettes, cucumbers and squash...:0~

xx
Can I grow my tomatoes without growbags?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 18:19
by Goldfinger
xx
Tomatoes in growbags

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2023, 08:57
by coldandwindy
xx
Tomatoes in growpots and growbags - what is best?

Started by elliottk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 16:45
by mumofstig
xx
Growbags or pots, plants per grow bag?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 14:18
by bigben

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 43 queries.