What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

MarkC

Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #345 on: November 12, 2018, 17:55 »
Garlic in today - not quite 275 cloves though....more like 30-40.

Also noticed that purple sprouting broccoli leaves were under attack and took netting off to find loads of caterpillars and eggs....in November. Picked off and sprayed.....Sprouts seemed ok.

Missey

« Reply #346 on: November 18, 2018, 17:20 »
Beautiful day here - perfect allotment weather.   We dug & cleared out the edges of the plot - loads of thick couch grass roots coming in from the grass paths plus (hanging head in shame) lasts years neglect but hey ho. 

Cleared around  the autumn raspberries / black & redcurrants bushes & pruned & cleared around the apple tree then added a good mulch of manure around all of the above. 

Hopefully whilst its going to turn cold I'll have a few more dry weekends to finish off digging so I'm not playing catch up next year - ok who am I kidding I'm always playing catch up.

Missey

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2018, 20:07 »
Sunday afternoon, emptied a compost bin and riddled it onto 2 beds, then turned two others and started to fill the one i emptied, took the late peas out and stored canes away. Compost has done well this year, been adding volcanic rock dust to activate it.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #348 on: November 23, 2018, 16:55 »
Started repairing a raised bed after work until daylight ran out, which wasn't very late!

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #349 on: November 25, 2018, 14:01 »
Built a new 2 bay compost storage area. I used feather edge board with 75 mm x 50mm rails , I lined the inside walls with black plastic to protect the wood and keep the heat in, I then put two layers of cardboard on the ground to kill the grass and stop any weeds growing
I now have 2 bins 1.2 square by 1.2m high..
I then used 100mm x 25mm slats for the front and made spacers between each slat with screws partly screwed in leaving a gap approximately 20mm between each slat so that air can circulate

It's very surprising how much volume they hold as I shovelled 11 barrowfulls of manure into one and it's just half full. The society are arranging another delivery soon so I hope to fill the first bin with some of that.
The second bin I will now start filling with leaves, coffee grounds, and kitchen peelings etc just as soon as I finish the slatted front on that one
👍
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 14:27 by Offwego »

Aled

« Reply #350 on: November 26, 2018, 16:18 »
Piled on the last of the compost bin, some wood ash, plus the small bag of compost I had left over. Then dug the patch over. Other than adding a bit of wood ash, That's it until the spring now.
Cheers
Aled

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #351 on: December 02, 2018, 13:49 »
Finished off my New compost area, lined the base of the second one with cardboard and the side with plastic sheeting to protect the wood , I used some of the spare boards to make a roof and then put plastic over them,
and then started filling it 😁😁😁
Very pleased with this 😁😁😁👍
Just as I was packing up for the day the rain came so perfect timing 👍

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 17:02 by Offwego »

MustbeMad

« Reply #352 on: December 03, 2018, 08:40 »
Well, it was yesterday rather than today but I finally managed to get the polytunnel cleared out - just need some thing to do with 20lb of green tomatoes, lots of chutney I suppose!). The De Colgar and Mexico Midget tomatoes were still going strong and it was a shame to pull them out.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: December 04, 2018, 20:06 »
Took bags of garden waste to the plot and filled up a compost bin, plus did a bit of tidying and harvesting.  The ground is too wet for any serious work.

Then came home and filled 3 empty compost bags with fallen leaves.  Dumped these in the chicken run and gave them instructions to turn them into some nice mulch please.  That didn't get much response so I chucked some corn around as added motivation.  That got them scratching away and digging  :lol:

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #354 on: December 14, 2018, 16:24 »
Got an hour after work to do some winter digging, made a good start, good outdoor exercise too in the fresh air  :D

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #355 on: December 26, 2018, 17:48 »
Added another small bin of mixed kitchen waste, two bins of leaves one bin of manure and a sack of soaked cardboard to the compost heap

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 48 queries.