Problem with poisoned rats disposed of in compost.

• 6 Replies

Seguinaud

Hi everyone I've only just found out how to post a question as it's been such a long time LOL. I'm useless ha ha.

I think I did a very stupid thing months and months ago. I had a huge problem with rats around my hen house. I tried all sorts of ways to get them to move away but had to resort to poison in the end. I managed to get rid of them at least I don't have a problem now. BUT I picked up 2 dead ones literally a day after we put the poison down and I then didn't know what to do with them. I didn't dare bury them for fear my cats or foxes etc would dig them up, so I put them in my plastic Darlek compost bin then just kept adding my kitchen waste on top.
A couple of months ago I needed to empty the bin to put in my bean trench and after I had emptied it halfway I noticed the worms were all in a layer/clusters above where I assume the dead rats went. I am now in a panic about the whole thing.
Question
Is that why the bin was leaking black liquid because I assume the worms wouldn't go into the dead rat zone? The compost had started to rot down above, but was rotted but different on the rat zone.
What on earth should I do with the compost still left in there containing the remains of the poison I assume? Would the poison eventually break down if I dig a hole in our woods and bury it. I have put the bin back on it and have barricaded it in so my hens can't get any where near it.
What do you actually do with disposing of poisoned rats or mice for that matter?
And what the hell do I do now. I daren't tell my husband I'm sure hell be furious with me.

Very worried in Seguinaud LOL.
Regards Linda

arh

Re: Problem with poisoned rats disposed of in compost.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 16:52 »
Personally, I'd dig a decent hole and bury them, probably putting a "half slab", ie 18" x 9", on top of them to discourage any marauders. 2' 0" should be deep enough, obviously away from livestock area if poss.
 I,m not advocating it, but a lot of city people just bag and bin them, in the landfill bags.
 About the compost, I've no idea to be honest, but wiser heads will be along shortly. I know that it's a little late, but I never put anything in a compost bin/heap which isn't vegetable, Hot composting is a different story. arh.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 16:55 by arh »

arh

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 16:58 »
ps. is that the Seguinaud outside Bordeaux.

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 20:37 »
I would double bag and bin the rats.  I would probably use the compost on flowers only but not if your chickens can get to it.  Don't stress too much we all do things without thinking sometimes 😀

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 21:43 »
I would not worry about it any poison will have long gone just dig a trench and put the compost in and back fill with soil keep about 40 cms of soil on top of it all the rats will have composted away and there will be no reason for a fox or any animal to try and dig up a few micro bones . worms in a compost bin are always living in a smallish layer  deep down there is a lack of food whilst to high up in the bin its to hot so they live in the comfort zone damp warm with plenty of food  no other reason
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Seguinaud

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 14:03 »
 :D Thanks every one I knew I could count on you. I'm over it now you've replied lol. I think i'll shove the compost in with my other 2 composts that are "doing" that way they should dilute the rat compost. I always turn my composts so i'm thinking it will be ok in the end.

I seriously hope we never have rats visit us again but if we do and I have to resort to poison again I'll deffo double bag the bodies next time and put them in the poubelle (=bin  :lol: I think that is a perfect translation).

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

We live about 2 1/2 hours from Bordeaux.

Kind regards Linda xx

arh

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 15:18 »
Yep, that's the place, beautiful. :D, 2 and a half hours is just outside, when you're driving a truck to Spain from GB. lol.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 15:20 by arh »

xx
Rats and compost

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 16:38
by Scribbler
xx
Rats in the compost

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 16:07
by compostqueen
xx
help Rats in the compost

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 03, 2012, 09:23
by LilacSandy
xx
Rats and compost bins

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 08:28
by dig4victory

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.