50mm auger for post holes?

• 10 Replies

Amilo

• Experienced Member
50mm auger for post holes?
« on: November 02, 2013, 14:21 »
I am looking to buy a 50 or 55mm auger to make post holes for scaffold poles but no amount of goggling has turned one up, they are all much to big for the job I have. I only meed the auger as  I have a suitable machine to drive it. Have you seen one?

Kleftiwallah

Re: 50mm auger for post holes?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 14:48 »

There must be dozens hanging up in tool hire shops just waiting for Yoohoo!
I'd try there. ::)
Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 14:59 »
It seems a small size by normal fencing standards. I have only seen sizes like this in geotechnical sampling (soil Survey) work. Even then they are often hand held augers and in most cases they will be OK if only going down a foot or so. If you use a bigger size you could concrete in the scaffold tube post. Could you use a driven former made from scaffold tube with point welded to end if you have power to drive it in and especially to get it out again.
R

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:53 »

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:14 »
I believe i saw a small soil auger on Amazon a while back.
If you are putting any amount of weight on the poles you will need a plate (or brick) at the bottom to stop it sinking so a 150mm hole will be about right.

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 13:34 »
Hi all,

HSS tool hire do not have the size I want. I have very heavy clay so there is no need to use concrete, this I know from practical experience, in my last house I used a 2 meter length of pole knocked into a 50mm bored hole to hold up a complete scaffold pole plus a amateur radio antenna on top, (25 feet in all) The short pole is still in the ground after 20 years, I could not get it out.

Unfortunately I have lost the auger in the house change.

yaxley

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 20:59 »
Have you tried screwfix or www.tool-net.co.uk  they may well have what your looking for ...
Grow organic as nature intended

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 13:19 »
Have you tried screwfix or www.tool-net.co.uk  they may well have what your looking for ...

Thanks for that, they have one IE a 2" bit but at £130.00 its out of my price bracket. Shame!

jezza

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 00:25 »
hi try a TANAKA dealer they do 50mm augers  jezza

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:16 »

Thanks for that, their price was £146.00 knocked down from £162.46, Phew!!! Funny though, the first page was all in Chinese and the second wanted a password.

I don't know why these things are so dear but as I only want to do 10 holes I think I will have a go at making one myself, I have several old long drill bits I can cannibalise to build a spiral on.

NorthEast Old Newbie

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 17:27 »

Thanks for that, their price was £146.00 knocked down from £162.46, Phew!!! Funny though, the first page was all in Chinese and the second wanted a password.

I don't know why these things are so dear but as I only want to do 10 holes I think I will have a go at making one myself, I have several old long drill bits I can cannibalise to build a spiral on. 

A little bit awkward trying to get the flat pattern correct so that the flights or Archimedian screw line up right up the shaft. This may help.  http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=83443    & also this one, a wood auger 50mm dia x 600mm long  that you could mod - only £15  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50mm-wood-auger-drill-bit-for-oak-or-sleepers-600mm-long-/321255813469?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4acc56b15d

xx
Post holes.

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 21:21
by Lardman

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 33 queries.