Advice re plastic greenhouse

• 7 Replies

wellieboots

Advice re plastic greenhouse
« on: April 10, 2013, 20:47 »
Hi. Unfortunately I have not got room for a glass greenhouse so use one of the metal framed ones with the plastic covering. However since I have had it I have got though 2 covers and am just about to set up with my third. The problem is that by placing it in a sunny position the plastic then sticks to the metal frame so is rendered useless once removed.
Anyone else out there come across the same problem and if so any top tips for avoiding it this year.
Thank you

(Title spelling edited for future search purposes.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:17 by JayG »

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
Re: Advice re plastice greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 21:57 »
I got one of these about 3 years ago , i leave it set up all year round ( leave the cover on ) its still good as new  ;)

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 17:29 »
We do not remove the covers either, but we have also covered all the metal with hot spot tape, which is exactly what that is designed for :)

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 19:08 »
Good idea Ann.

Maybe wrapping the poles with that white stuff you get in parcels (which looks a bit like fleece) would stop the plastic sticking?  The stuff that Tvs and electrical items come in? 

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

wellieboots

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 20:14 »
We do not remove the covers either, but we have also covered all the metal with hot spot tape, which is exactly what that is designed for :)

Thanks for all the useful info.
Excuse my ignorance but what is hot spot tape and where do I find it?  This sounds like my solution. :)

Stree

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 22:00 »
I never had this problem because i got a spare plastic replacement cover for one of these on freecycle, but had no frame.
So I made a frame from roofing batten, which is similar in size to 2X1 timber but is treated as well, and much much cheaper than 2X1. ( I use it for all sorts.)
Beauty of this apart from no sticking, is that I could easily add staging built in to it and when the bottom half of the plastic became raggy and split. I just screwed treated tapered weatherboard to the timber frame to make the lower half like a shed. This is also a cheap remedy, the boards are 6 feet long 5" wide treated timber and were £1 each from the timber yard.
It been up for almost 6 years now and still in use as a glorified cold frame and pot and tool store.

wellieboots

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 22:10 »
Thanks for all your advice. Tape now ordered so hopefully will do the trick

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 35 queries.