Cabbages & Garden lime

• 2 Replies

blackberryjam

Cabbages & Garden lime
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:19 »
I have some January king cabbage and cauliflower which are ready to plant out,when the weather improves. Will it be okay to use garden lime when planting them or should I just give them a light dressing of blood,fish,bone. :unsure:

BabbyAnn

Re: Cabbages & Garden lime
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:04 »
both should be fine - lime just changes the soil pH (if your area is acidic-neutral) and helps to prevent clubroot.  As January King will be in the ground a long time until harvested (the clue is in the name), then the soil really needs to be very fertile to keep it going until growth slows down in late autumn  :)

blackberryjam

Re: Cabbages & Garden lime
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 11:55 »
both should be fine - lime just changes the soil pH (if your area is acidic-neutral) and helps to prevent clubroot.  As January King will be in the ground a long time until harvested (the clue is in the name), then the soil really needs to be very fertile to keep it going until growth slows down in late autumn  :)

Thanks BabbyAnn wasn't sure about using the lime this time of year, my grandfather only used it at the end of the growing season, he said it helped to break down the vegetation left in the ground. Think it put it in the compost bin too.
Im  told my plot used to have lots of horse manure put on it every year,not sure weather it was done last year has I've only had it since January. :)

xx
Garden Lime vs Builders' Lime

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 12:13
by Swing Swang
xx
garden lime

Started by pete1977 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 21:10
by pete1977
xx
Where would I get garden lime?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 23:35
by JayG
xx
Garden lime & manure

Started by riggers24 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 28, 2016, 12:01
by Salmo

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 35 queries.