What is available to show in October?

• 7 Replies

icbradley

What is available to show in October?
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:44 »
I have been put in charge of a vegetable competition to be run in October as part of the village Apple Day, I am in Berkshire.
My question is what vegetables are available i.e. in good enough condition, for an Autumn show at the end of September beginning of October?  I would guess maincrop potatoes maybe carrots?  Or is anything possible if you use growing techniques for showing?  I have never shown vegetables myself but I do have the RHS bible on veg showing to go by.

Ian

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What is available to show in October?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 13:50 »
winter squash and pumpkins, marrows, cabbage red and green,  early sprouts maybe, carrots, calabrese, cauliflowers, tomatoes should still be around, onions, garlic and beetroot.

icbradley

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 17:02 »
Thanks Mum.

The organising group's preference is things like biggest marrow/pumpkin competition, nice and easy for the people who have never shown before.  Also maybe do a three of a single veg competition for those who want to show off their skill and compete.

Ian

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 19:43 »
Mum's given a very comprehensive list, but you might also want to check out the monthly guides on the main website (see link underneath banner at the top of the page) to see if there's anything else being harvested at that time of the year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

carrotfaggot

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:04 »
You should be able to show most veg in late September/early October with the possible exception of peas. I'm sure you'll struggle to grow them that late in the season in Berkshire as they'll have long succumbed to mildew.

The only bit of advice I can give is watch your quantities. RHS recommendations for class numbers are sometimes a bit high for village shows I fear. Instead of 5 of something try asking for 3 only. Better to have full benches than only one or two entries in each class.

Keep a record of the number of entries in each class then when you are planning next year's show you can decide whether to bin those classes that didn't have a lot of entries. It's a good idea to have an any other veg class for all those veg that don't fit in the main classes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:05 by carrotfaggot »

icbradley

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04 »
After your comments we have decided on September 29th.  We shall follow the good advice and only have a small number of classes, limited to three of something as well as a ‘biggest of’ competition open to everyone, especially kids.

Thanks, we are suitably inspired.
Ian

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:51 »
All the Autumn veg. Pumpkin, squash, leeks, carrots, parsnip, potatoes, beetroot, celery, onions, shallots, brassicas, dried beans, chillies.

Involve the children. Carved pumpkins, animals made from veg, strange shaped veg etc

icbradley

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 15:23 »
Like it Salmo!  As it is an Apple Day we can do the longest apple peel competition.

Thanks
Ian
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:34 by icbradley »

xx
Gardeners World tonight 1 October

Started by Yorkie on The Show Bench

32 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 16:12
by braders1234
xx
What should I show on?

Started by gardenreg on The Show Bench

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 19:24
by gardenreg
clip
First Show

Started by Mr Dog on The Show Bench

8 Replies
Last post October 27, 2019, 12:56
by Pauly1958
xx
My first show!!

Started by Cheshire Phill on The Show Bench

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 17:04
by muckyboots

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 37 queries.