Hens not laying

• 4 Replies

Pavlodge

Hens not laying
« on: March 12, 2014, 22:26 »
I have 14 hens . As usual egg production dropped as the nights drew in . The large pens got very muddy & wet but egg laying seemed to come to a complete halt except for the odd one or two . I moved the hens into a stable  & then just let them free range . so the pens can recover . Production increased for a few days . I have found where 1 hen lays her eggs but the others have even stopped laying or have found a place I haven't . Even the recent spell of brighter longer days doesn't seem to be making them lay  unless of course I just can't find them .

Springlands

Re: Hens not laying
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 22:37 »
You are not alone - I have 11 hens and am lucky to get one or two eggs per day. I am blaming all of the wet and windy weather. Hopefully now that the weather had improved egg production will rise.

Pavlodge

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 23:37 »
Thats what i,ve put it down to .  I have 3/4 acre of wooded garden that they roam in  & have in the past discovered large clutches of eggs but it's difficult to keep an eye on them all day .

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:17 »
The most likely explanation is that you haven't found them yet! It has been pretty mild if wet. Having said that we are getting cold nights. Even so 3/4 acre is a large area of garden to search, great for your chooks though! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:01 »
You are not alone - I have 11 hens and am lucky to get one or two eggs per day. I am blaming all of the wet and windy weather. Hopefully now that the weather had improved egg production will rise.

Wow - the mild, dry weather must be doing its job - got three eggs so far today (plus one from our duck who is very faithful once she starts to lay).

xx
New hens not laying yet!!

Started by stoko on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 17:13
by treacleminer
xx
How can I tell which hens are laying??

Started by Planner on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 00:28
by woodburner
xx
laying hens

Started by Diane P on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 14:04
by scrappydoo
xx
hens not laying

Started by corkee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 08:13
by corkee

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 35 queries.