Tomatoes/Potatoes - together or apart?

• 11 Replies

simond9383

« on: January 16, 2008, 12:06 »
The books seem to vary on this one.

Some say keep your toms miles away from your spuds.

Others suggest keeping them together - presumably so that diseases are kept in one place and diminished with rotation.

I am making my first attempt with spuds this year but only with some First Earlies so hopefully they'll be out before the blight.

Anyone got any experience/views?

Simon
Try to be organic ...sort of ...most of the time ...

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:52 »
It's true that they suffer similar problems with blight etc but I've never split em up

Agree with the first earlies they should be out before blight gets goin other than that try one of the resistant maincrops  there's a big list in another post
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:57 »
I always plant apart, although logic says "does it really matter" if blight hits, then will 30 or 40 feet apart stop it, doubt it.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

WG.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 12:57 »
Tomatoes need glass / polythene cover up here.  Isn't it simply a nuisance to grow them together?

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 12:59 »
Have to admit that I have grown potatoes and outdoor tomatoes in beds next to each other - logic is, if there is disease that affects them both, that area as a whole can be avoided in the following year (like in crop rotation)  If I split them all over the plot, then I have to think of 2 areas to avoid growing both potatoes and tomatoes in.  Hope that makes sense?
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 14:59 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
Have to admit that I have grown potatoes and outdoor tomatoes in beds next to each other - logic is, if there is disease that affects them both, that area as a whole can be avoided in the following year (like in crop rotation)  If I split them all over the plot, then I have to think of 2 areas to avoid growing both potatoes and tomatoes in.  Hope that makes sense?

Started off with 100 tom plants, and planted them out in the same quater of plot as the potatoes. Blight got all the toms, but at least the potato crop was okay, just the tops looked bad
Steve

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 16:04 »
I had them side by side this past summer and they didn't suffer, mostly because I rotate the potatoes yearly. Toms can stay in the same place for up to 5 years with no real problems. Blight will get anything anywhere regardless.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 20:44 »
I grow mine separate (in fact this years spuds will be 500m up the road.)  Last year a friend lost all his toms and potatoes, and he brought round a bug that he'd found which did for them both.  I wish I'd taken a photo of it.  It was like a huge maggot with teeth, fat at the teeth end, thinner towards the tail.  It was about as long as his little finger (OK, so he's a pip-squeak but that's still a sizeable bug.)

The thing is, once he'd shown it to us, he threw it into the garden (!!! :x ) followed by some cussing in thick dialect.  I had to spend about an hour on hands & knees looking for this thing which ultimately found it's way under the heel of my boot.

Octogenarians!  :roll:

gobs

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 20:59 »
That sounds like a colorado beetle larvae except for the size, you are not exaggarating there, are you?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 03:34 »
We get a lot of Colorado potato beetles here but I can't say I've ever noticed the larvae. The adults aren't that big so I question if Contadino's critter was a Colorado. Regardless, the potato beetles totally ignore tomato plants even when side by side. In fact, I had almost no beetle damage this year because the potatoes were right beside the toms. When apart, I get a lot of damage.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 04:21 »
Quote from: "gobs"
That sounds like a colorado beetle larvae except for the size, you are not exaggarating there, are you?

In old money, I reckon it was about an inch and a half long.  I'll measure my mates finger next time I see him.  It was gross.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 04:32 »
Then definitely not a Colorado beetle. Not sure what you have unless you can give us a piccy, preferably unsquashed.

xx
Tomatoes on my Potatoes

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 16:26
by Apoc
xx
Potatoes Tomatoes

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 17:21
by Salkeela
xx
Tomatoes and potatoes better together or apart?

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 12:59
by paintedlady
xx
Tomatoes near Potatoes?

Started by Allan-25J on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 28, 2018, 16:09
by yorky

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 38 queries.