Tomato Problem

• 9 Replies

Cazzy

Tomato Problem
« on: July 31, 2009, 20:31 »
Anyone know what causes this?  Its not every tomato thats affected but I have it on both plum and salad plants, cherry toms don't seem to be affected.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Tomato Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 20:34 »
Blossom end rot.

The result of poor transportation of calcium around the plant.

This could either be as a result of calcium deficiency or more off than not, irregular watering.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cazzy

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 20:41 »
Thanks DD, irregular watering is probably the issue then.   Can this be cured by watering regularly from now on or have I ruined the plants?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 20:45 »
You can't cure it as far as the ones that's got it are concerned, but you can ensure that those yet to set don't get it.

Cazzy

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 20:48 »
Great news, I can make sure the rest don't suffer the same fate then, I was so worried that I'd done long term damage.

Thanks for that :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 20:50 »
The problem is this variable weather, mine can sometimes go 2 days without watering, other days they need it twice a day.

And if we go away & leave the watering in the hands of the kids...................

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 21:49 »
Mine outside are looking good - now - but I worry that this wet weather had taken a toll on them and am keeping a beady eye out for BER. I REALLY want my toms to survive this year, we get through so many of them
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

gillie

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 09:06 »
Don't pick affected fruit off too soon, let them ripen.  Sometimes you just get a small black patch on the blossom end which is easily removed in the kitchen.  Other times the whole tomato is a right off.

I have often had a percentage of my tomatoes in the greenhouse do this, though curiously there is no sign of it this year. I have not had outdoor tomatoes affected.

'Regular watering' means keeping the pots evenly damp regardless of the weather.  It does not mean slinging the same number of cans on every day regardless.

Cheers,

Gillie

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 09:18 »

'Regular watering' means keeping the pots evenly damp regardless of the weather.  It does not mean slinging the same number of cans on every day regardless.

I hope I alluded to that! :lol:

The problem is this variable weather, mine can sometimes go 2 days without watering, other days they need it twice a day.

Cazzy

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 17:29 »
Don't pick affected fruit off too soon, let them ripen.  Sometimes you just get a small black patch on the blossom end which is easily removed in the kitchen.

Think i'll give that a go gillie, I binned some massive plum toms and it broke my heart  :(  I've never grown them before and had big plans for a freezer full of marinara sauce for winter.

xx
tomato problem

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 10:29
by nickholden
xx
Tomato problem.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 17:17
by WhippetMaster
xx
Tomato problem

Started by johrit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 16:24
by johrit
xx
A different tomato problem

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 22:12
by FCG

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 28 queries.