cod and chips

• 8 Replies

tetley

• Experienced Member
cod and chips
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:56 »
Has anyone got a tried and tested recipe for battered cod that I can do in the oven??  I have only got a tiddly deep fryer, and to feed us all it will take all night if I fry them.  I would prefer to have batter than breadcrumbs....is that possible?  I did a search in google, but didn't come up with anything.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
cod and chips
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 13:25 »
I've got the recipe for a nice batter for fried fish Tetley, but don't know what it would be like in an oven.  Was given to me by a chef!!!!

tetley

• Experienced Member
cod and chips
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 14:49 »
ooooh can I try it grannyannie?  and I will let you know......or I may decide to fry afterall.

chrissie B

cod and chips
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:43 »
just doa couple at a time and pop in the oven to keep crispy , we put larger in our batter yum yum and make extra batter bits for the chips , think we will have some for tea now .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

tetley

• Experienced Member
cod and chips
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 13:54 »
I had a go at normal batter, and getting the oven as hot as it can get (which isn't much  :twisted:  another story  :roll: )  I dipped the cod in the batter, and then gave them a couple of minutes each side in the baking tray on the highest burner on the hob.
It wasn't brilliant, but passable.  Frying would be much better.... everyone enjoyed it anyway.  
I might try again, bit healthier than frying...not that we have alot of fried foods.  I have also discovered a lady who makes 'english' sausages, so we have been enjoying those too :wink:

digby

• Experienced Member
cod and chips
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 11:13 »
The thing with frying the batter is it helps it to 'puff' out which makes it nice and crispy, and because you don't have the instant connecting heat with an oven that won't happen.

I have sometimes used a wok with 2 or 3 inches of oil in to fry extra things in, I don't like to use my fat fryer for anything other than chips as it makes the oil need changing quicker.

muntjac

cod and chips
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 11:26 »
fry it in a wok using sunflower oil froma large container .as you use the first batch up then put the old oil in another bottle / container and drop into the dustbin with the cap on or you may have a oil recycling chap around you :wink:  advertize in freecycle
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
cod and chips
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 13:09 »
Sorry, missed the rest of this one!

The recipe I got is for a big batch of batter Tetley, but basically, you mix your SR flour with water and vinegar until it is smooth and the consistency of double cream.  Leave it for a while and it will thicken up, then add more water/vinegar until the consistency of single cream. Season lightly if wished.

lightly flour your fish (I did it the other day for chicken nuggets!) and dip in the batter and fry.  It comes up very light and crispy.

weeeed

cod and chips
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 16:28 »
I think the only way you could cook in the oven would be to start off the day before in the fryer. Par fry them as it were. Freeze then finish from frozen in the oven. Otherwise the batter would be in the oven and the fish would be bare :oops:  :oops:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

xx
ARE CHIPS REALLY BAD FOR YOU

Started by jazzbyrd on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 17:22
by mumofstig
xx
Best ever chips...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 13:42
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Parsnip Chips

Started by Sideways on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 20:22
by Mega
xx
Artichoke chips

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 21:03
by ytyynycefn

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 33 queries.