Best ever chips...

• 14 Replies

Growster...

Best ever chips...
« on: May 20, 2016, 17:49 »
Mrs Growster and I have embarked on the search for the best way to fry chips!

We have a small deep fryer and of course several frying pans, but seeing mention of three-times fried chips and the rest, and also sampling some fabulous ones in a local pub (The Rainbow Trout, Broad Oak), we need to do much more now!

Can anyone enlighten me on their methods, because I really need to know before I get various kitchen implements thrown in my direction..;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Best ever chips...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 18:06 »
Werks fer me:
Cut spuds fat... good half inch square par boil in salted water for 5 mins (or cover in boiling water and salt and microwave for 5 mins)

drain...cool a bit, then deep fry in hot oil/fat til crusty  :)
Must be served with salt and pepper...............and, in this house, mayo!

Kate58

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 18:58 »
We have a large saucepan.  We tip in a 1 litre bottle of Flora oil and heat until a chip dropped in rises to the top.  In go the rest of the chips and they get stirred around now and again with a slotted spoon until brown.  They are then fished out and drained on kitchen paper.  Plenty of salt, vinegar with sauce (usually tomato) for those that want it.  We have tried deep fat fryers but don't like them (can't do enough chips!) and too faffy.  We used to use a basket in the pan but they get too gunky!  None of that twice and three times cooked chips for us - life is too short!  But however you do them they beat oven chips hands down every time!

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 22:04 »
It all depends on how you like them  ::)

Im a big fan of the rather large, thickly cut soggy style, fried just once in hot dripping. Mother Lard used to make them just right so they the outer edges would just be crispy but the body would be still be soft.  :tongue2: No special equipment or preparation needed - just a chip pan and a block of dripping.

...............and, in this house, mayo!

I like me some of that too - nasty habit I picked up in Germany  :nowink:

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 10:22 »
I dont know if this would work for chips might do,,,,roast spuds  for sunday lunch get them ready then par boil them
drain them then fill the pan with cold water to stop them cooking, when cold dry them off a bit then get a poly bag
put some Colmans mustard powder in the bag 2-3 table spoons put the spuds in then blow it up and shake it so the spuds get coated the spoon them into the tray with the meat coat them lightly with oil they dont want to be swimming in it, when all done they will little chrunchy and golden colour, and the best roasties you will ever taste...
And no taste of mustard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)
Colin

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 10:23 »
Werks fer me:
Cut spuds fat... good half inch square par boil in salted water for 5 mins (or cover in boiling water and salt and microwave for 5 mins)

drain...cool a bit, then deep fry in hot oil/fat til crusty  :)
Must be served with salt and pepper...............and, in this house, mayo!

Yes, this is how we go about it too ... doesn't take long in the hot oil and are just delicious mmmmmmm
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lettice

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 12:58 »
I always use a three cook method, did in batches from my last year potato crop in the shed.
Much like mash, its a great way to not waste some of the maincrop that is just on the turn.
Crinkle cut them about 4inch x 1/4 inch
Wash them if starchy type, a seven to ten min par boil with some salt depending on the type. Ready when a knife slides through the centre of a chip.
Drain and dry within a tea towel. 
Then place them in the freezer for 30 mins on a tray.
Out of freezer, pat dry with kitchen towel, deep fry them at 150c for about 4 mins or until just colouring and pat with kitchen towel.
Back in the freezer for another 30 mins or I just leave them in a tub until I need them, so could be days/weeks/months later. They are stiff, so do not need to be laid out this time. I just pull out a handful or two as needed.
Out of freezer and into deep fryer at 180c for 5mins, which is just right for a soft middle and crispy outside. But cook longer if you like them browner.
Enjoy.

This is from the Freezer recipe book from my Mum/Dads freezer book from the 1970s. But they used to do deep frying in a saucepan then. No mention of veg/sunflower oil, it was mostly lard/dripping then. Not exactly sure when deep fat fryers came in, but remember they used to do frying in a pan. Of course, noone would even contemplate that now.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 14:28 by lettice »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 13:24 »
On the odd occasion that we eat chips, I use the method taught to me by a chef that I did work experience with. 

Heat oil (but lard is best!)  to 155C, then fry chips until just cooked through, but not brown.  Drain on kitchen towel, then heat oil to 188C (I think it is) and re-fry chips until golden brown.  They should be soft inside but crispy on the outside

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 14:37 »
Oh Marvellous!

All these ideas and ways and means!

Thank you one and all; I think we have plenty to contemplate and work on!

I'm going to go through the list from now on - like the idea of mustard as well...

:0)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 15:33 »
Lettice, I never would have thought of that method ... I assume having them chip-shaped rather than crinkle cut is OK?

Once they are re-frozen with oil on them, could you oven cook them d'you think?

lettice

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 16:47 »
Lettice, I never would have thought of that method ... I assume having them chip-shaped rather than crinkle cut is OK?

Once they are re-frozen with oil on them, could you oven cook them d'you think?

Yes, have done them in the oven a few times, 180c for about 15 mins. Not as crispy that way though.
Just love them crinkle cut myself and as well as looking great they crisp up nicer that way.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 16:49 by lettice »

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 19:13 »
Just love them crinkle cut myself

That's always been my own problem, Lettice, larger surface area..;0)

Eblana

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 20:52 »
My OH refuses to allow a deep fat fryer or a chip pan in the house, he says they are dirty and dangerous. Our daughter bought us a present of an air fryer.  The chips out of it are fab and only a spoon of oil is used.

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 12:58 »
We dont deep fry our chips , par boil some fat chips with the skin on drain till dry pop in a bowl with some oil let them stand a while pop in a hot oven give them a giggle around on the tray release any thats stuck , carry on cooking till done to your liking sorry forgot the salt and some times garlic or smoked paprika favourite spice .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 13:42 »
My OH refuses to allow a deep fat fryer or a chip pan in the house, he says they are dirty and dangerous. Our daughter bought us a present of an air fryer.  The chips out of it are fab and only a spoon of oil is used.

I'd like to try one of those, but they are still a bit expensive for me at the moment.

xx
ARE CHIPS REALLY BAD FOR YOU

Started by jazzbyrd on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 17:22
by mumofstig
xx
cod and chips

Started by tetley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 16:28
by weeeed
xx
Artichoke chips

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 21:03
by ytyynycefn
xx
Parsnip Chips

Started by Sideways on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 20:22
by Mega

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 33 queries.