Outdoor Cucumbers Pots v Growbags

• 7 Replies

Twood

• Experienced Member
Outdoor Cucumbers Pots v Growbags
« on: May 19, 2019, 12:43 »
Hi
Well I'm pleased to say that the old lawn is pretty much an allotment now. A few issues and here and there however I'm turning my attention to cucumbers and have recently bought a couple of Baby F1 plants. Im intending to grow outside up and old pallet with netting fastened to it but does anyone have any thoughts on whether a large pot or a grow bag would be the best environment for them.
Thanks
Twood
Happy Gardening May your plot be abundant in veg and free from slugs ! :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Outdoor Cucumbers Pots v Growbags
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 14:40 »
Either should be fine - growbags put your plants nearer the ground (and therefore slugs and snails) but it's wise to take precautions anyway.

Don't use those useless skinny growbags sold in poundshops and the like though!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 17:20 »
Hi jay
thanks very much for your reply. I'll keep that in mind. I'm conscious of the over watering issue causing the stem to rot  that Ive just read about. I'm wondering if a pot would be better for this reason.
Oh well its all trial and error  :)
Twood

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:29 »
Can you get away with not using growbags and putting them in the ground?

I ask because I've ditched growbags now, thin and thick. They dry out really quickly in hot weather and they're too easy to overwater. Often not enough room for roots meaning small plants, and at the end you have a bag full of nutrient depleted soil good for nothing but top-dressing planters or soil texture improvement.

Robster

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 15:40 »
I use fertilizer tubs.  The sort that you buy Growmore and Blood fish and bone (10kg size).  they are easy to move and have a good carry handle.  I paint the outside black and put a couple of holes in the bottom.  When I fill with soil and commercial compost I put a newspaper at the bottom over the holes to allow for some retention so it doesn't drain to quickly when watered.  I like this method because I can get an early start and keep them in the greenhouse and harden off, trotting them outside when the weather is good.  Good for late and unexpected frosts a s well.  Leave an inch on the top for watering.  I use the same method for early courgettes and chillies as well.

oldgrunge

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 20:05 »
I've grown my outdoor cucumbers in a growbag for years. The usually B&Q ones, at that! They've always don't very well. As to watering, I always use a method my Dad showed me. When planting, cut the bottom out of a 4" flower pot, and plant the cucumber in that, in the growbag. So when you water, the pot keeps the water away from the stem at ground level.( you water outside the pot, of course!).
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 10:46 »
Hi
thanks for all your replies.
Ive gone with fairly large pots and put a plastic bottle (with holes sprinkled around the base) in as well so i can water into the bottle. Its my first year growing them so nothing to compare with. Lets see what happens
Cheers
Anne

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 11:50 »
For years now  I have used the black builder buckets from Wickes with holes put into the bottom, they are usually no more than a couple of quid each. I have grown cucumbers, Tomatoes, egg plants, salad potatoes  carrots all with reasonable success.

xx
Outdoor Cucumbers in growbags

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 22:10
by iwantanallotment
xx
Sweet peppers and cucumbers in growbags

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 19:28
by Jim T
xx
Pots on growbags

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 21:04
by mumofstig
xx
Growbags or pots, plants per grow bag?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 14:18
by bigben

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 47 queries.