Barred Wyandotte

• 6 Replies

Derculees

Barred Wyandotte
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:59 »
Hi Mods and members, Haven't been here for a while, I'm hoping to catch up on the news.
My latest additions, G/L/Orp and B/Wdotte have blossomed into beautiful girls, but the B/Wdotte is so skittish, if a sparrow flies over, she'll take off and go on one of her 'tourette' runs, inspite of me nurturing her, from an early age, to boost her cofidence. The existing 2 Speckledies still haven't taken to her, they seem to know she's nuts. They don't mind the Orp. I was wondering if there was was a keeper of W/dottes, who could advise on their general, normal behaviour ?   :blink:

On a lighter note, have the mods had any updates on Chris and 'Bottom' from S/France ?  :happy:
Yorkshire Rose x Scottish Thistle - nice blooms, but wear a glove

Casey76

Re: Barred Wyandotte
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 15:38 »
I have bantam dottes, and generally I have found them to be quite calm and the pullets aren't at all noisy.

I generally don't handle my poultry, so I can't pick them up.  When I need to check them over I do it after they have gone to roost, and despite the infrequent handling they have always been calm and easy to handle.

Derculees

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 19:23 »
I have bantam dottes, and generally I have found them to be quite calm and the pullets aren't at all noisy.

I generally don't handle my poultry, so I can't pick them up.  When I need to check them over I do it after they have gone to roost, and despite the infrequent handling they have always been calm and easy to handle.
Thanks for your reply Casey, I'll persevere, along with the calming influence of the G/L/Orp.

Still not heard anything re: Chris Mahon - any news ? I'd love to hear

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 19:26 »
No idea who you mean, me dear.

Derculees

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 20:25 »
No idea who you mean, me dear.
Soooo sorry Aunt Sally, different forum, I'm losing it. Just placed a bowl of soup into a kitchen cupboard instead of the adjoining microwave.  :wacko:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 20:36 »
Don't worry dear, just sit yourself down and have a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 20:51 »
I got two 10 month old Partridge Wyandotte bantams just over a week ago.  Have kept them in a small coop with attached run so that they can settle in.  I let them out for an hour or so the other day and they are quite skittish but think it is because they have not been handled.  I had to catch them with a fishing net to put them back in their coop.  When I was looking after my daughters yorkie last week he walked past their run and the biggest went mental.  The poor dog shot off to the bottom of the garden wondering what had happened.  Where I got them from had had a fox attack recently so that could also be a reason for their behaviour.  Have seen a female Sparrow Hawk on the garden fence today eyeing up the garden so I will make sure if they are out in the future I am in the garden with them.  Not sure whether to put them with my bigger girls once their quarantine time is up or might just keep them separate.

Good luck with your wyandotte.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Could I have a Barred Plymouth Rock?

Started by Chookie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 11:45
by Chookie
xx
hen or cockerel plymouth barred rock

Started by katanadan on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 19:01
by katanadan
xx
barred wyandottes vs pekin bantams

Started by new_2_veg on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 17:07
by Leapyear
clip
Marans or Barred/Plymouth Rock??

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 17:09
by cbv8

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 36 queries.