Wyandotte keepers?

• 3 Replies

peggyprice

Wyandotte keepers?
« on: April 26, 2008, 13:53 »
Has anyone got a picture of a Wyandotte egg they can put up for me?  I'm trying to identify which of my four is laying the eggs that keep getting eaten (this is turning into more of a detective story than a bit of simple chicken keeping!).

I have one golden laced Wyandotte, one Welsummer, one Warren and one Black Rock Hybrid - I know the Welsummer eggs are large and a lovely dark brown, I think the Warren lays small white eggs (she's the scrawniest of the tribe), and we also get large whiteish/creamish eggs - and the occasional light brown, very lightly speckled, with incredibly fragile shells which seem to be the ones that keep getting smashed ...

Am going to try ResidentEvilRock's trick from the other egg eating thread about testing them out to find the culprit.  I'm pretty sure it's the Warren but innocent till proven guilty and all that!
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

treacleminer

Wyandotte keepers?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 16:36 »
Hi - can't help on Wyandotte egg - sorry, but my warrens lay (used to lay) largish pale brown occasionally speckled eggs - these got very thin as the hens got older and I'm now getting only the occasional very thin/shellless egg from them - which are promptly eaten by the warren that laid them!

new_2_veg

Wyandotte keepers?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 17:21 »
my wyandottes lay a whitey/cream coloured egg i havent any at the moment i can take photos of as mine have stopped laying at the min! they are matt not a shine to them aswell, hope this can help you

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

peggyprice

Wyandotte keepers?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 22:36 »
Thanks both of you ... with your input and by a process of deduction I think I've worked out that my Wyandotte is laying the large white eggs, and the Warren is indeed laying the large, fragile speckly ones (and then I think eating them).  The remains of egg yolk on her beak were a bit of a giveaway :lol:

Don't think she's very old though - we've only had them a fortnight; could it be the opposite, that she's young and her eggs haven't settled down yet?

Have given up on the mustard approach, but tried filling up one of her broken shells with chilli paste today; when I showed it to her she gave it one peck and didn't try again, so I'm hoping that a couple of days of that will do the trick...

xx
Wyandotte

Started by RTB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 20:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
Broody Wyandotte

Started by RTB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 20:30
by muntjac
xx
Hefty Wyandotte

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 06:57
by New shoot
xx
Barred Wyandotte

Started by Derculees on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 20:51
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 38 queries.