Help needed

• 6 Replies

philb98

Help needed
« on: July 20, 2011, 20:28 »
Hi
I have just took over a local council run allotment that has a shed at the back that has obviously had chickens in it. It hasn't been cleaned since I dont know when and need some advice on the best way and products to clean it so I can have my own chickens in it,
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

daisy1990

Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 21:11 »
The main problem is the dreaded red mite.  These live in cracks and in folds in roofing felt, so if possible strip off any loose felting and better still replace with corrugated iron.  Brush off any droppings (use a paint scraper if need be) the scrub out with dilute Jeyes fluid or similar and allow to dry thoroughly.  Check over carefully to ensure no draughts can get in (hens are very intolerant of draughts) and you will be ready to go (presuming you have bedding, feeder, water and perches and nest box)

good luck they are very compelling!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 21:46 »
corrugated iron can get very hot, onduline is better.  Some of our henhouses have onduline roofs, others have felt, but I always forget to mention when talking about it, that my Brian paints the whole roof with bitumen first, then puts the felt on.  Stops the mites hiding under the felt!

After claning wth jeyes, it might be an idea to spray with poultryshield or something, just in case of red mite.  They can live without hosts for 38 weeks apparently!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 13:01 »
Have you considered how you're going to put them to bed and open them up each day? unless you're new allotment is very close to where you live this could be a problem. There are automatic openers on the market you could buy. Also, what's the run like? is it fox proof? and who will look after them if you go away? sorry if it seems a bit negative towards your idea but these are all things you need to work out before you get them.

Maeve

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 16:43 »
I agree with Magicaltoad.  I have been keeping chickens for over two years now and would not be without my girls for the world.  However they do need looking after and if you need to make a journey in order to feed and water them, let them out in the morning and put them back at night and just generally check that they are alright and have not knocked over their feed or water containers, you could be turning what should be a pleasurable, rewarding activity into yet another chore.  And I have not even mentioned babysitting when you go away.  I really don't want to sound negative -I even enjoy cleaning out the coop- but I think there are factors to be taken into account.  If, however, your new allotment is on your doorstep (metaphorically if not literally) then happy chicken-keeping!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 17:44 »
plus in the winter their water freezes over so this will need checking on several times a day  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

philb98

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:04 »
Its 2 minutes from where I live so no worries I will be able to let them out before worrk and put them to bed after work :)
Thanks for all the tips :))

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
help needed

Started by Bilbo67 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 22:10
by Bilbo67
xx
Help Needed Please

Started by SMIFFY on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 09:13
by SMIFFY
xx
Help needed

Started by arrowni on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 18:00
by arrowni

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 39 queries.