Applying Lime to the Chicken run.

• 6 Replies

BARNACLE BILL

Applying Lime to the Chicken run.
« on: March 05, 2016, 23:58 »
Looking for advice re liming the run. Some of plot holders are telling me I should apply lime to the chicken run. They say it sweetens the ground and kills worm etc. Following the wet winter there is not a blade of grass left its has become a mud bath. I intended to corden off areas and reseed with grass. Is there any good reason for applying lime first ?

BB

Helenaj

Re: Applying Lime to the Chicken run.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:27 »
I found this on another poultry forum which seems to cover all angles:

"Depends on the kind of lime. There are two versions:

Slaked or Hydrated lime: this is a form of lime that is extremely caustic especially when wet. That's probably the form you're thinking of and it does make a good sanitizer for stalls not being used. You have to be careful using it in the runs because you can burn your skin with it, and harm your birds too - so you'll want to get  instructions for how to use it safely. This is the type of lime that kills bacteria, and it is the type of lime used in pits where animal carcasses are buried, to prevent bacterial growth and the stench it releases. It's also used in whitewash you use on cellar foundations and buildings.

Untreated limestone -- pelletized or powdered/pulverized. It's white (Sometimes you can get a grey coloured form called "Dolomite" or "Dolomitic" limestone.) and the powdered or pulverized form is a fine powder. This is the "sweetening" lime often used in the garden to raise the pH. It doesn't kill bacteria, but it is useful for drying damp spots on cement barn floors, etc. and for preventing odours. It doesn't burn and is safe to use as is. I use it for that and to mix in with shavings to keep them dry and non-smelly. Also I throw pulverized-powdered it into my chickens' dustbath because it seems to work well for cleaning their skin and removing mites."

I hope this helps!

Helena

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 19:40 »
Thanks for your reply. It is the hydrated lime version they are saying to use. I will give it a try !

BB

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 22:41 »
I would only use slaked lime on runs that the chooks wouldn't be using for a couple of months.  It was good to sanitize the runs, but I wouldn't risk letting the chooks on it, just in case!

I used to divide the runs and only use one at a time!

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 17:34 »
I would only use slaked lime on runs that the chooks wouldn't be using for a couple of months.  It was good to sanitize the runs, but I wouldn't risk letting the chooks on it, just in case!

I used to divide the runs and only use one at a time!

My husband is a stone mason and everytime he uses Slaked lime he ends up with terrible burns where the lime has fallen inside his gloves. I've bought him marigolds now becuase they are higher up the arm and a tighter fit!

grinling

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 18:33 »
The only time I've seen chickens at an allotment with grass is because a full plot was used and made into 2 halves.

I had my run covered when at the allotment and they got given greens.

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 19:31 »
Sorry my mistake ! It is not the slaked lime they recommended. Its the garden version.

BB

xx
applying red mite powder

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 10:16
by nzdunn
xx
Bio Lime

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 17:17
by pepsi100
xx
Lime...

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 15:33
by WG.
xx
Lime

Started by kimT on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 19:36
by kimT

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 37 queries.