Wanting to keep chickens

• 4 Replies

Lara

Wanting to keep chickens
« on: July 23, 2008, 17:20 »
Hello all brand new to this forum, and looking on the net for any information i can about keeping chickens.  I've been wanting to keep chickens now for quite some time for eggs only really.  I have an Aviary in the garden which is not being used anymore, and wondering if this habitat would be suitable for them. The aviary has an enclosed space along with the flight, albeit the enclosed area is up high to the ceiling. The flooring of the flight/run isn't grass, it's on hardstanding, would this be ok? what sort of flooring if suitable would they need.. Another thing, i do own dogs (5) but 2 of them cant see into the aviary as they to small. Would i be able to let the chickens out in the morning after the dogs to have a good ole run around and leave them out unattended. Garden is not massive, but well enclosed.  I guess that's all for starters.. Sort out housing first then onto the next bit i think..... thanks :wink:

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Wanting to keep chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 23:11 »
Hi lara
Welcome.I'm preparing for my first chickens too.I've also been researching.Sounds like a good idea using your aviary.If it's standing on a hard surface I've heard you can use bark  chippings or straw for covering the floor.You can also use soft wood shavings.I assume your run area is covered,so any of these would be fine to use.
I've heard that if you're not going to be home it's best to keep them in their run & just let them out when you're home.I've heard lots  of stories about people not thinking they have foxes near them & losing their chooks to them.I've also heard of foxes climbing 6ft fences!I've never seen foxes where we live but,they're cunning so you can never be sure you don't have them nearby.You're dogs might be a good deterrent though.Hope this helps :wink:  :)
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Lara

Wanting to keep chickens
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 00:41 »
hey chookaholic, thanks for your response... the flight/run of the aviary is covered, just has very strong meshing around it, with wood about 4 ft up... any reccomendations on their nesting/roosting area... there is an enclosed space, which as said is high up, im guessing birds would be about to reach it? what about winter time.. would they need any heating out there. the aviary birds never had anything and they all did really well.

Poolfield2

Wanting to keep chickens
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:16 »
Hi there and welcome to the friendliest chook chat!

The aviary sounds good and secure, what is the size of the footprint?

Some hens can fly and some just kind of jump and flap with more hope than success :lol: They will need a "box" bit to be shut into at night and somewhere secluded to lay, if it is high up they will need a "ladder".

Leaving chickens loose in a garden while you are out may be asking for a foxy visit, so being in the aviary unless you are around will be safer.

If you can post piccys of your aviay and garden, others on this site will give you good advice :)

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Wanting to keep chickens
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 00:07 »
Hi again :) Your hens will need a perch to sleep on at night,in their box,ideally the perch should be higher than the nest box (to prevent them sleeping in the nest box)Keep the perches the same level if you put in more than 1,as they will squabble over who gets the highest 1!Also round off the top edges of the perch to make it comfier for them to grip.I don't think they'll need heating or anything for winter,although they don't like draughts.Some people drill a few small holes for ventilation though,to stop them getting too hot in summer.Some types of chicken are hardier than others,& are more able to withstand cooler winters.
Of course,I have no experience at any of this...I've been doing loads of research though.It helps reading all the stuff on this forum & i got some books too.I can't wait to get my coop...seems like i've been waiting AGES... :shock:  :roll: Anyway,hope this helps :D  :wink:

xx
wanting to buy chickens

Started by nic321 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 18:28
by joyfull
xx
Wanting another hen.....any recommendations

Started by cammi on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 22:05
by cammi
xx
newbie, wanting help

Started by freshers on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 11:18
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
wanting to sleep outside

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 10, 2008, 19:31
by ordinarygull

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 38 queries.