newbie, wanting help

• 4 Replies

freshers

newbie, wanting help
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:32 »
have recently decided to get some ex-bats. will they be friendly as i have kids who are very hands-on! and i want to let them free range in the garden when possible but am concerned about catching them, any advice greatfully recieved

Kate and her Ducks

newbie, wanting help
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 17:50 »
Welcome to the forum :D
Am little help as I keep ducks but I understand that ex-batts are pretty docile and tolerant as the aggression is bred out of them. When you say "hands on" how hands on are they? I remember being pretty awful to our long suffering cat when I was little  and they might be too much for animals that may be fairly traumatised.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
newbie, wanting help
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 18:02 »
HI freshers and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Kate, they are supposed to be very docile so no problems there, how old are your kiddlys? My little boy who is 4 has autism and chases our chickens all over the garden, I can't get it through to him not to do it but have to say that the chickens don't seem to mind, they are still happy and follow us around so I wouldn't worry, although saying that I don't have ex-batts so don't know if they are different. :D
Katt

freshers

newbie, wanting help
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 11:15 »
thanks for the advice. does anyone know if ex batts will be clipped or when i let them free range in the garden will i be chasing them through my neighbours gardens when putting them back in?

Kate and her Ducks

newbie, wanting help
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 11:18 »
Again, don't know for sure but from the pics posted by pthers of their ex-batts when they get them they don't seem to always have many feathers to begin with anyway. Sure they grow back with a little TLC and then you would have to think about it to prevent them escaping if the pen is not entirely secure :D

xx
newbie wanting advice

Started by Bilbo67 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 07:46
by Bilbo67
xx
Newbie Wanting Advice

Started by atkinson1983 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 15:40
by izzy
xx
Wanting to keep chickens

Started by Lara on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 00:07
by Chookaholic
xx
wanting to buy chickens

Started by nic321 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 18:28
by joyfull

Page created in 0.852 seconds with 38 queries.